<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Gluten-Free Apple Crisp

3.12.2014

Gluten-Free Apple Crisp

We bought an enormous bag of apples at Costco two weeks ago, mainly because Luke likes to perch on the little stoop from our sliding door to the balcony and eat his daily apple, and also because I was on a serious Nutella-eating rampage. Apples were the obvious choice! And lots of them! Unfortunately, this boatload of apples started to go bad faster than anticipated. The obvious answer to the dilemma was apple crisp.


While I've been nursing, I haven't gone back to full-time gluten-free eating. For whatever reason my milk supply started to dwindle when I initially returned to eating that way on a consistent basis, and that was no good. The Chubby Dubby needs to stay chubby! 

I digress.

I reserve my gluten intake for healthy eating when I can, so naturally all of my sweets and baked goods I still try to keep gluten-free whenever possible. This recipe is basically a made up version based on other apple crisp recipes I've tasted in the past, and I liked the way it turned out for the most part. (Flour substitutes will never be as great as the real thing, but hey, I'm trying to work with it!) .

4 apples — peeled, cored and sliced
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon xantham gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)

2. In a 8x8 pan, mix brown sugar and apples together. In a large mixing bowl, combine your almond meal, oats, white sugar, cinnamon, xantham gum and salt. Mix together thoroughly. In a smaller mixing bowl, beat together the egg and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread mixture evenly over the top of the apples.

3. Bake in oven for 60-90 minutes, or until the almond meal mixture is golden and crisp.

4. Allow it to cool for a couple of minutes, and then top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!


Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM , Anonymous Bethany said...

This actually looks amazing. I too am nursing but want to transition into more gluten-free eating as my daughter gets older.. Pinning this for future use!

 
At March 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome! Hope you love the gluten-free transition. Pinterest makes it a whole lot easier :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home