<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Raising Boys To Be Confident Men

1.03.2014

Raising Boys To Be Confident Men






I came across this video yesterday and absolutely fell in love with the message behind it. I already shared it on my Facebook page, but it struck a chord in me and I pondered on it all night.

As you can tell, my boys are highly sensitive. Yes, Luke and Wes are still little babes and crying is the name of the game, but I hope to instill gentleness and sensitivity in my boys that sticks. I want them to be in touch with their emotional side and all that mumbo jumbo. I don't necessarily buy into the whole gender binary thing of "blue is for boys, pink is for girls" and blah blah blah. If they adore the color pink, love glitter and want to play with dollhouses, great. If they naturally gravitate toward things that go KA-BOOM and anything with an engine in it, great.

What's important to me is that they are loyal to who they are and follow through in what interests them. And to do it with a fierce passion and determination, knowing all along that they are supported 100% on my end. There are too few people in this world not doing what they love or actualizing what they know in their guts to be true, for fear of pushing against some cultural norm or rejection (myself included). Luke and Wes will know they can find that reassuring blanket of security boys so desperately need in this harsh world that pounds the macho man mentality into their delicate souls. I don't want little He-Men running around. I want confident, thoughtful, analytical boys that aren't afraid to cry, and desire to give hugs instead of punches and anger. Boys that don't even bother wasting their time with the pressures of their peers because they possess a sterling sense of self-assurance. And in time, I want my boys to be great men that live up to those very qualities and beyond.

And you know what? I have a hunch those little turkeys will do just that. 

“It's not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It's our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless.” -L.R. Knost

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At January 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM , Blogger petal and plume said...

so absolutely precious
xx

 
At January 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Lawlors :) said...

I read the book "Raising Cain" recently, and it's on this very topic. Absolutely fascinating!! I highly recommend it :)

 
At January 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

BRILLIANT post Mumma! You are so right. I do agree with it all.
Love the last quote. I'll have to share that as well.
Happy New year to you and your boys, all 3!

 
At January 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM , Blogger What Katie did next... said...

Agreed! I want my son to be loving, kind and sure of who he is. He is lucky as he has fantastic male role models in his life that will ensure he is just that.

 
At January 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Ashley Smith said...

Totes agree

 
At January 7, 2014 at 7:17 AM , Anonymous Frances Dean said...

That video is heartbreaking. I had never thought about this before (perhaps because I am female). I think you're doing a wonderful thing in the way you are raising your sons!

 
At January 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Mel said...

I love that quotation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home