<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Holiday Cut-Out Sugar Cookies

12.18.2013

Holiday Cut-Out Sugar Cookies



As promised via Instagram, here is the magical recipe for our holiday cut-out cookies. This tradition began in my family far before I was born, and it is one of my most treasured holiday activities (you can see the gluten-free recipe for these cut-out cookies we made last year here). 

Luke made an excellent helper as he kept watch on the dough scrap pile and ate it with a cautious enthusiasm. He kept looking up at me each time his fingers pinched another mouthful and didn't break eye contact as he slowly raised the bite to his mouth, just waiting for me to say, "no more, buddy." But, alas. I was in the Christmas spirit, and what is Christmas without eating bottomless cookie dough with your best pal, Mama? It's those little things I want him to remember, and it is so good to have my own blossoming family with whom I can share these warm memories.

Without further ado, I give you the best cut-out sugar cookie recipe in the world. Oh, and you will definitely want to double the recipe (maybe even triple it) because 2 dozen of these babies will maybe last you 48 hours if you're lucky... 

Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Serving size:  2 dozen
Prep time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2  tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream (this is the golden secret!)

Directions:
Heat oven to 425°F. Mix shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla thoroughly. Blend dry ingredients together. Sift them into the wet sugar mixture alternately with the sour cream. Make sure dough is well-floured so it can be handled in your hands without sticking. Divide dough into a small ball; place on wax or pastry paper, cover it with another sheet of wax paper and roll out to 1/4" thickness. Cut out shapes with desired holiday cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes. Enjoy!

Recipe from the Betty Crocker Cooky Book

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At December 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM , Anonymous Bethany said...

Holiday sugar cookies are one of my favorite traditions. I may have to try this recipe, though, if it is indeed the best! :)

 
At December 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM , Anonymous Cat and Fox said...

I love decorating cookies. I am excited to try your recipe with your secret ingredient! Thanks for sharing!

 
At December 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Julie Kure said...

I must try your recipe, these look delicious. I have never been successful with sugar cookies, maybe this time :-)

www.withlovefromnash.tumblr.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home