<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : My New Year's Resolution: Intention

1.01.2014

My New Year's Resolution: Intention

So, New Year's resolutions. We kind of have what many would call a love/hate relationship. I love the idea of being inspired and getting a fresh start to recharge your life for the coming year, and I hate it because I only keep up to snuff on my resolutions for approximately 2 weeks. If that. Really, my resolution this year needs to be to keep my resolutions! 

Einstein is attributed to have once said, "The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over, and then expecting different results." Since I am lousy at keeping commitments with myself and have spent the last 20-something years driving myself bonkers with failed resolutions, I am going to give myself a word to live by for 2014 instead. My word is...

Intention.

At first glance, this word feels broad and maybe not specific enough, but that's what I need. I want to live intentionally in 2014, no matter what it is I am doing. I want to have exact purpose and aim in each thing I do in my life -- as a mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend and any other title I hold. I've found myself flying under the radar of the "motherhood" shadow all too often, using it as an excuse to hide in my insecurities and be, well, lazy, for lack of a better word. Too many days I sit Luke in front of the iPad to keep him entertained because I don't want to exert the energy to get everyone ready and out for the day. I waste waaaay too many hours sitting in front of the TV, whether it is spent filling my brain with rubbish like reality TV or going on unhealthy Netflix binges. We eat majority of our meals from pre-made, frozen foods or from a drive-thru window. I screen phone calls like a recluse, and opt for text messaging far too frequently. I say "no" and turn away opportunities more than I should. These few examples stem from a place of selfishness. A place that could possibly bring me some small discomfort, but is absolutely guaranteed to bring me immense joy and a rich life. And my reason for it is always, "I'm tired... because I'm a mom. I don't have time... because I'm a mom." Guess what? That's a load of malarkey. As much as I wear my mom badge proudly, I don't want it to rob me of my identity, or rob the experience of an abundant life from my children and family.

So, intention, let's do this. I want to explore new places with Luke and Wes, educate them, and let them fall in love with the endless possibilities the world presents. I want to immerse myself in literature, art and philosophy. I want to eat and taste real food, not processed, freezer burnt crap. I want to start a relationship with my kitchen and get buried head deep in cook books, in hopes of creating dishes that leave us mildly delirious from the explosion of taste and aroma. I need to enhance my relationships with my friends and family and make more of an effort to be involved and act like I care. I've developed the skill to spout off empty words of flattery and affection, which really mean nothing unless I show that I care. I want to say yes and push myself out of these silly boundaries I've trapped myself in. No more skimming by and watching wasted days turn into lost weeks and months. I am going to LIVE on purpose.

What will you accomplish this year?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At January 1, 2014 at 1:42 PM , Blogger Holly @ A Year in Wichita said...

I love your honesty. I think so many of us struggle in the same way but won't admit it. Love your word for the year idea and am thinking of doing the same!

 
At January 1, 2014 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your post is so honest and true. I applaud you at being able to air some of your insecurities on your blog, not only to experience the fleeting sense of freedom from them, but also to encourage other mothers that they are not alone and can choose to live their lives more purposely as well. I too can relate and it hit home reading your post as well. Being a mother is one of the hardest, but yet most rewarding jobs. Over the years (our oldest is now 5 years old and heading off to kindergarten next year), I've found that she has helped me embrace positive change. I have become stronger, and have faced so many of my fears with her little hand guiding me. It's amazing how much our little ones can affect our lives... if we let them. :)

 
At January 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM , Anonymous Stacy @ Stacy Eats said...

I really like the idea of having one word to focus on for the year. Like you said, it's hard to follow through on all the goals, hopefully having one word to keep in mind will result in much more fulfillment. Happy New Year!

 
At January 1, 2014 at 7:50 PM , Anonymous Bethany said...

Such an awesome resolution word, and such an awesome post! It really is do easy as a mom to do the options that require less energy, because honestly we are very tired! But when you think about how good it feels to really experience life, even if it takes a little extra energy, it's worth it. We just need a little motivation sometimes.

 
At January 1, 2014 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Merriment and Grace said...

That was incredible to read. It's such a great resolution and I wish you the best. It seems so simple but it could be one of the most challenging things to keep because it's not something you can just check off your to do list.

Thanks for posting

Bree merrimentandgrace.blogspot.com

 
At January 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Great giveaway & yay gift card to my favorite store! Saving an extra 20% on an entire Harry & David purchase sounds pretty good to me!!

 
At January 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Kelli Murray said...

Loved reading this. Intention, such a great resolution.

 
At January 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM , Anonymous Mel @ My Everyday Lifestyle said...

Love reading your post. Such inspiration. Happy 2104!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home