<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : DIY Pom Pom Monogram Ornament

12.16.2013

DIY Pom Pom Monogram Ornament



Twas' about two weeks before Christmas, when all through the house, 
there was a pom pom explosion, to the dismay of my spouse.
The stockings were adorned with colorful pom poms galore, 
along with each and every wall, surface, and door.

Luke and Wes were nestled on a new pom pom bed,
and of course a pom pom crown was encircling my head.
Matt in his pom pom sweater, and I in my cap,
had just settled down with a pom pom garland in my lap.

When I looked up to my tree thinking it needed to be fatter,
Pom pom ornaments were missing was what was the matter!
Away to my craft closet I flew like a flash,
and raided my obsessively large yarn hoarding stash.

The gleam of the flashlight shining from my iPhone,
gave the luster of prettiness to the yarn below.
When, what to my craft-obsessed eyes should appear,
But some wire and cardboard perfect for the letters so near.

With some little old scissors and a few hot glue sticks,
I cut out the monogrammed letter shapes mighty quick.
Then rapidly winding the yarn around the frame,
The first letters looked beautiful of my little boys' names.

First I completed the "L", to be followed by a "W"
and finished it with an "A" and a stately "M", too.
To the tip of the corners and the bottoms of all,
glued upon each little letter were tiny pom pom balls.

I spoke not a word, and finished the work,
adding ornament strings so they could prettily perk.
Laying a finger upon my contemplative chin,
These beauties looked perfect and were met with a grin.

I sprang to our tree, and hung the ornaments on the bristles,
Stepping back to admire, giving it an approving whistle.
When I heard everyone exclaim at the wonderous sight,
"Merry Pom Poms for all! And to all a good night!"

I truly, honestly don't know where that came from. I sat down to type, and that kind of just fluttered from my fingers onto the keyboard (it's the craft-lovers, abridged variation of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" if you didn't pick up on that). Anyway, this DIY post is inspired by these Anthropologie ornaments, and since I had all the materials on hand I figured I would make my own, versus paying $8 for each one. It's easy and a cute craft to do with your kiddies.

Materials:

1 spool of yarn
1 package of small pom poms
Sturdy cardboard or old wire hangers (you also need wire cutters if you do this option)
Scissors
Hot glue gun

Directions:

1) Cut out the shape of your letter on your cardboard either using a stencil or freehand. You can also recycle an old wire hanger you get from the dry cleaner and shape it into your letter by bending it into shape. I tried both versions and they turn out the same, although cardboard is easier (I just wanted to put those hangers to good use that would otherwise get thrown out).

2) Start wrapping your yarn in neat lines all the way around the letter, making sure to go over it multiple times. Depending on the letter you do, some corners can get tricky, so glue down your yarn with the glue gun and begin wrapping in a new direction to adequately cover those wonky corners and crevices.

3) When finished yarn wrapping, glue down the yarn string and cut, making sure it is in the back.

4) Taking your hot glue gun, glue on your pom poms.

5) Tie on your ornament string to the top the by weaving it through some of the yarn (using a needle and thread for this part would be easiest) so it can hang. Adorn your tree with your shnazzy new ornament!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At December 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM , Blogger The Olive Tree Blog said...

serisouly...so.much.cutness!

 
At December 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Stephanie R. said...

Super duper cute!!

 
At December 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Jessica Holly said...

I'm obsessed with this!

 
At December 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Alison Ambrose said...

That was the best DIY/Christmas poem! Maybe it can be a recurring Tuesday poem day :)

Alison, http://lavieambrose.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home