This Page

has moved to a new address:


Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : The Birth Story


The Birth Story

Crawling out of bed the morning of Friday, January 13th was a bit different than my usual wake up routine. Instead of moseying around in bed, I quickly ran to the bathroom as there was a substantial gush of liquid all over my PJ's. Had I peed my pants? Nope, that couldn't be it. There was only one other conclusion to draw from this...

My water had broken.

The nurses at the hospital didn't seem alarmed, so Matt and I waited for my 9:30 am NST appointment before going in. As I greeted the attending nurse, I exclaimed with enthusiasm, "I think my water broke!" and proceeded to give her a hug. Matt made fun of me because he said the nurse had reached out to show me the way to the triage room, not for a hug. Whatever. I was about to have my baby in the next 24 hours and I deserved all the hugs in the world!

I changed into a hospital gown and they wired me up to the monitor. Nurse Sharyl watched for about an hour to see if my water had truly broken. She came in 45 minutes later and found no fluid on my seat pad, so we proceeded to an amniotic fluid test. It came back negative, meaning it didn't detect enough fluid to determine that my water had actually broken.

I was confused. I know my body and that fluid definitely was not coming from my bladder. Back to the NST room they sent me to have the fluid levels checked by ultrasound. Sure enough, there was only 5 cm of fluid, meaning my water had broken within the last 48 hours. Turns out the amniotic fluid test could only detect broken water if it was within the last 12 to 18 hours. 

You know what that meant? 


Now, I had wanted to try to go through labor naturally and unmedicated, but the risk of infection was too high to not be induced. Beside, I had been over the whole pregnancy thing for the past 4 weeks and being induced sounded like a dream.

So I thought...

Nurse Sharyl started the Pitocin drip at 12:30 pm, January 13. I was already dilated at 3 cm and 50% effaced. My suspicions were that Baby Rod would make his debut no later than 12 am that night/morning. At 4 pm, the contractions were becoming fairly intense so I opted for an epidural. They moved me to my birthing room and in waltzed the anesthesiologist. Must be nice having a job where everyone adores you the moment they lay eyes on you. The man seemed like an angel, sent to relieve the ever-growing pain of labor. I'm not going to lie. I was pretty nervous about having a 5 inch needle rammed into my spinal cord. It didn't help that he kept saying how "tight" my dura mater space was as he was jamming it in. I should have known then that something could very well go wrong.

Within 10 minutes, I felt on top of the world! All pain vanished and my painful grimace was replaced with a big smile. Nurse Sharyl checked to see my progression. Four hours had passed since the Pitocin was started and I was only dilated to 4 cm and about 75% effaced. Since the epidural had kicked in, she maxed out the Pitocin to its highest amount to get the process moving along faster. 

Suddenly the monitor started flashing purple and baby's heart rate completely dropped off the screen. I felt in my gut something wasn't right, and Nurse Sharyl was scrambling in the room not 10 seconds later. She rearranged the heart monitor and was able to find his heart beat again, but I was pretty shaken at this point. Tears filled my eyes and I couldn't help but start bawling. The Pitocin level was decreased to ensure a healthy heart rate. 

Fear had consumed me and anxiety was beginning to take over my consciousness. My own heart rate was now at an alarming 150 and the constant awareness of it made it worse. At this point it was 7 pm. Nurse Natasha replaced Nurse Sharyl. She took one look at me and gave me the best pep talk in the world. Her reassuring words and amazing care are what got me through the night. 

At 7 pm, I was about 5 cm dilated, and 80% effaced. Slow progression, but we were getting somewhere. Matt stayed right by my side and held my hand as we watched a movie to get my mind off my anxiety. 

A few more hours passed, and I was finally at 7 cm and almost 100% effaced around 10 pm. Baby Rod was coming soon! 

Matt and I sat there together, reveling in the thought that we would meet our beautiful son soon. Moments later, I felt a horrifically intense pain on the left side of my abdomen that shot all the way through my back. It literally felt as if someone had punched me in the stomach. Not 4 minutes later, the terrifying pain returned.
My epidural has stopped working. Let me repeat that. MY EPIDURAL HAD STOPPED WORKING. At the height of my active labor! Where the contractions were the most unbearable, especially since the Pitocin augmented them to 10 times the intensity!

Was this really happening to me? The anesthesiolgists's complaints of my insertion area being "really tight" rang in my ears. I wanted to slap the guy at this point, not hug him. Nurse Natasha helped as much as she could and requested what they call a bullet of pain medicine into the epidural line. Guess what? It didn't work. The pain was increasing at an alarming rate. It felt like a UFC fighter was grabbing my insides and wrenching them as hard as possible, while kicking me in the back. This was not how I had imagined labor.

I consider myself to have a fairly high pain tolerance. I felt like the biggest wussy in the world. I hurt and ached and just wanted it to be removed from me. I began to throw up. 

The anesthesiologist gave me a second round of the bullet shot, but to no avail. It was about 12:30 am and I threw up a second time. The good news was I had finally dilated to 9, almost 10 cm and pushing was imminent. 

I had been in labor for 12 grueling hours and felt hopeless. The life was slowly being sucked out of me, and all I could manage to do was whimper in pain to Matt. Bless his dear heart. Matt was amazing. He stroked my hair, cooled me off with a wet washcloth, and whispered sweet words of encouragement as tears welled up in his eyes from witnessing the suffering I was enduring.

At 2 am, the pushing began. As much as I thought it would hurt, pushing with the contractions felt liberating. It was a time for me to push out the agony and visualize the moment when I got to meet my stubborn boy that didn't want to come out. An hour later, I was still pushing. Nurse Natasha coached me through each and every push, and assured me I was going to get our little guy around that corner. She called my doctor and asked what she wanted to do at around the hour mark. Keep pushing, she told Natasha. How could I go on? I had zero strength left and wanted them to cut him out of me. It's funny how your perspective on things tends to change when you are faced with extreme difficulty. I was ardently opposed to a cesarean section the entire pregnancy, but at this point I no longer cared and wanted him out of me as I laid there helpless and weak. 

Around 3:25 am, January 14, I pushed the hardest I ever have in my life. Baby Rod had finally crowned. Waiting for Dr. Vu to rush to the hospital was a challenge. Fighting the urge to push with each contraction seemed almost impossible. Finally, the doctor arrived and I pushed with all the might and strength I could find within myself. At 3:55 am and five solid pushes later, I was met with the most glorious feeling of lightening imaginable. The pain immediately melted away and all I could hear was the cry of a helpless little baby.

I did it.

The doctor laid my sweet, precious baby on my chest. I was overcome with fear, exhaustion, and excitement all at once. He was covered in a waxy coat of vernix with a very cone-shaped head. He looked more like an alien than a baby, but he was still amazing. 

Matt cut the cord, to both our surprise, and they whisked him off to be cleaned, measured, and weighed.

Being placed in my arms once again, Matt and I both stared at the true miracle of life we had created.

Childbirth is the hardest thing I have ever gone through, but by far the best.

Lucas Timothy Rodriguez is ours forever, and we've been falling more madly in love with him with each passing day.

Labels: , ,


At January 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Fabulous post! Congratulations mama!

At January 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Alyx said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I have never been more terrified of giving birth. That sounds incredibly painful. Any type of pain that makes you puke does not sound fun.
Oh the bright side, he's adorable, and you are both happy and healthy!! :)

At January 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM , Blogger jenn~the stylish housewife said...

it is amazing how different each and every birth story is! my son was breach my ENTIRE pregnancy. i mean at EVERY untrasound...same exact position. i had no choice but to have a c/s. i am sad that i didn't get to experience a regular birth but after hearing the pain stories, i'm not quite as sad! =) congrats on your bundle of joy!

xoxo, jenn
the stylish housewife

At January 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Bree said...

What a sweet birth story!

At January 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM , Blogger dear winsome said...

oh man..that sounds so scary!! i'm glad you're both doing great, he's adorable! i'm partial to the name luke :)


At January 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM , Blogger Courtney B said...

Oh he's so perfect! And you are amazing, Abbey!
I am so happy you're both doing well!

At January 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

congrats to you and you hubby - he is gorgeous!


At January 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Jessica Samantha said...

This is the most strangely precious post I have ever read, oh my goodness! Congratulations! I am so happy all of a sudden!


Jessica | Vixenelle

At January 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Natasha Louise Taylor said...

this was amazing to read thanks for sharing!!

At January 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM , Blogger The Mrs. and The Momma said...

Way to go Momma! What a strong woman you are to go through that! Enjoy this precious time...it's so fleeting. And try to get some sleep (don't you hate when people tell you that?) :)


At January 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

such a great birth story, it's always hard to hear how difficult and painful it was but knowing that at the same time it is the most beautiful thing in the world fixes everything. so glad you guys can finally enjoy him together!


At January 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

oh my god, this post made me cry! it's crazy how something that hard can be worth it, but it is. I'm very happy for you and wish you, Matt and your baby the best :)

At January 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Elisha said...


At January 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Andrea @ Strawberry Chic said...

I can't believe your epidural wore off...you are one tough cookie! Your baby is beautiful! Make sure you enjoy every minuet while he is so small (it doesn't last long :)

At January 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Kira said...

Yikes, I can't imagine what it would be like for an epidural to just stop working at that point! I need to write my birth story as well, my baby is almost 4 months old and I still haven't done it!

At January 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Crystal Seed said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Took me back to my big day with Chloe. I was in labor for 13 hours total with a mere 1 hour of pushing. She was a quick one! But your little boy is just adorable, and I can't wait to see more pictures of him and your family!! Congrats, Mama!!

At January 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Erin Collins said...

Totally crying! I'm so happy for you! You did it is right! What a sweet little boy! Wishing you a good recovery :)

At January 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

great post! congratulations, he is so adorable!


At January 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Stesha said...

awwww. so precious. congrats miss!!!

Classic & Bubbly

At January 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM , Blogger Nilda Noel said...

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story. I love how honest you were. Sorry it was so difficult! Such a sweet boy to enjoy forever! Kudos to Matt for being so good.

At January 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Emma Frances said...

Thank you for sharing your birth story! It sounds like it was pretty crazy but definitely SO worth it in the end! :] And once again, he is absolutely adorable!

At January 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

What an amazing birth story!! Congratulations on your new little bundle!! He is perfect!

At January 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Blogger L!$@ said...

Wow! What an effort. So glad Lucas has finally made it :D What a little cutie!

At January 23, 2012 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Jessica Holly said...

WOW ABBEY! I'm so amazed, and impressed. You go girl. I can't even imagine!

At January 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM , Blogger lrbodine said...

Seriously - that was a beautiful birth story even though it sounds so painful! I still have nightmares about an epidural not working - although my first two did just great with it.

At January 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

You are truly an amazing woman. You went through SO MUCH, and you did it all for your beautiful baby boy. I am so happy for you.

At January 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Oh my word, this is an intense birth story and I can't even imagine the pain that you went through for that long. I'm so glad baby Rod is here now and all that work has paid off for you and your hubs.

He is such a beautiful baby :)


At January 24, 2012 at 4:59 AM , Blogger Lischen said...

Congrats! You are SO amazing!
I wish you all the best!!


At January 24, 2012 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

When I began reading this I thought I would be horrified by the pain and relaity of giving birth--putting me off for life!

But by the end I had a lump in my throat!

It is such a beautiful moment and your son is adorable and so cute!

And you are hardcore!

At January 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Anonymous Luana said...

The first baby is the hardest. The next won't be as stressful. It will be alot easier. That was a beautiful description of your baby's birth. Brought back alot of memories.


At January 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM , Blogger KatrinaMarie said...

You would be amazed at the similarities between your story and Brigham's birth! I was crying as I read it, it just brought back so many memories!! It is truly and utterly amazing what our bodies can go through - it was the only time in my life I have honestly thought "I can NOT handle this pain." What a miracle! And good news - every birth is different! 1,2, and 4 were a dream......3....not so much. But they ALL are amazing. Congratulations friend!!

At February 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM , Blogger Ahn said...

hey abby! congratulations! kind of a scary story for me to read right now, but glad all turned out ok and you didn't need a c-section.

At February 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM , Blogger Ahn said...


At March 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM , Anonymous corrina said...

DAMN, so interesting to read your story. i love you!! sounds like you were in between a rock and a hard placE!

At July 24, 2015 at 5:01 AM , Blogger verystef said...

OMG. Just stumbled upon this by pure accident and you made me cry. At my desk. In the middle of the office. (And no: I don't work from home.)

Very similar to how my labour went:

I too was induced (though 2 weeks early due to having obstetric cholestitis), I too had an epidural and though it wasn't as bad as yours, it never took the pain away completely.
My little one came at 5:36 in the morning after 17 hours of labour, which included 1.5 hours of pushing.

Anyway, don't wnat to ramble on. What a great read, Bookmarking your blog now! :)

And: a very belated congratulations!



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home