<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Hey! Ho! Let's Go: A Thyroid Update

9.10.2012

Hey! Ho! Let's Go: A Thyroid Update


Guess what? My ultrasound for my thyroid came back negative! Hey! Ho! That's fabulous news! Thank you for all of your comments, emails, and prayers sent my way. It is a comfort knowing there are many other women dealing with this same issue that have had success in resolving it and detecting it early on. Luckily, I don't have any masses or tumors that are growing, unlike those of you that have encountered this or know women who have. The nodules are there, so I will have to keep an eye on them and receive annual checkups, but I am healthy. Hallelujah!

However, this brings up some other issues I have learned and encountered along the way with this recent diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Please note, I am obviously not a doctor or an expert by any means, but I want to share some thoughts and information I have gleaned from my endocrinologist and medical readings.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and any form of hypothyroidism can cause issues with fertility if it goes untreated. The ability to conceive can be more complicated, and risk of miscarriage can be slightly higher. Along with that, depression is often a tell-tale sign. This is all a concern to me because I am in that time of my life where I am supposed to be a baby-making machine. My pregnancy with Luke went beautifully, but I struggled with some postpartum depression as my medication dosage was way off. 

Within the last month, I weaned Luke from breastfeeding. This also caused a temporary bout of depression. Many of you moms have probably read the post on A Cup of Jo talking specifically about weaning and depression. Well, if you have an under-active thyroid, it perhaps could add to the intensity. This is just an observation I noticed within myself. I take my Synthroid religiously every morning, but I still underwent a rough patch for about two weeks where the world seemed dark and the solace of my covers over my head seemed like the best option. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't summon the energy to even do the dishes. The piles of laundry were slowly turning into small mountains. Luke was the only thing on which I could focus my attention and effort. And sometimes I didn't even feel I could handle him. I felt guilty and as though I was failing as a mother. I wanted to snap out of the crazy funk, but it felt like something inside prohibited me and restrained me from fixing the problem.

Suddenly the gloom faded away and I felt back to my motivated, cheerful self. This was the same way I felt once I overcame my postpartum depression with starting the correct dosage of hypothyroidism medication.

I just want to share my story with you, in case you may be feeling a little abnormal or struggling to find an answer to mysterious health problems. The symptoms can be problematic and it never hurts to get your thyroid checked, especially as a woman.

Thanks again for all of your support in my semi-dramatic thyroid adventure, and listening to me rant and rave. You're the best.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At September 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

so glad everything is ok. yey!

 
At September 10, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Babylon said...

The negative ultrasound is very common now days due to inability of a doctor to properly perform exam! We see many patients like this! BEST!

 
At September 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Tori Baldridge said...

Woooo! So happy you're okay :) now get to making more cute babies for all of us to gawk over xoxo

 
At September 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Blogger jackie said...

I'm glad that you're healthy! and good for you, sharing about your depression bouts.I hope that it helps someone who reads your blog. you're a strong woman :)

 
At September 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

First- I'm so glad to hear the good news of the ultrasound results! Second- thank you for your honesty in dealing with some depression. It's an encouragement to others, and I appreciate it! Blessings to you!

 
At September 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Chelsea said...

NEGATIVE: LOVE THAT WORD! I am so happy for you.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience so openly. I just KNOW it helps others!

 
At September 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM , Blogger Magz and Mez said...

So happy to hear the good news :) !

http://sophisticated-sisters.blogspot.com.au/

 
At September 17, 2012 at 5:44 AM , Anonymous Andrea said...

I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and nodules too - I switched my meds a few months ago (I was using thyroxine) and now use Armour (from the US), I'm not sure if you are in the US but this really helped my mood patterns...

 
At January 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Jenna DeSantis said...

Oh my gosh Abbey! I had no idea about all of this. Gluten free is definitely hard but you feel so much better (I'm sure you know this) I found out I had an intolerance a few years ago and since then some of my friends were diagnosed with Celiac. Loving these gfree recipes!!

:-)

XO Jenna @ Demure in Diamonds

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home