<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Feeling A Little Nervous

9.04.2012

Feeling A Little Nervous


You are probably wondering why today's post is not 'A Random Thing Or Two-sday' and I kind of am too, but there are more important matters at hand.

In approximately 45 minutes, I go in for my thyroid ultrasound, and I can't shake this funky feeling of anxiety. Weird, uncomfortable butterflies, loss of appetite, and racing heart kind of anxiety. 

I have briefly mentioned before, back when I was pregnant with Luke, that I have hypothyroidism. My thyroid basically sucks at secreting the correct amount of thyroid hormone, which can cause a huge list of problems and issues. About 3 months ago, my doctor ran some testing and concluded that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is an auto-immune disease where antibodies attack the thyroid. The cause is not well known as to why this happens, but I will be on thyroid medication for the rest of my life.

After visiting the endocrinologist 2 weeks ago, she felt some nodules on my thyroid. As she discovered this, she calmly mentioned in a "not to scare you" voice that women with Hashimoto's thyroiditis are at a slightly higher risk for developing thyroid cancer. She requested that I receive an ultrasound of my thyroid to see if the nodules could possibly look tumorous. 

Sure, this may not be a huge deal, and sometimes I feel like sissy for getting distressed about it, but I just recently found out my aunt had to undergo chemo and radiation for a tumor she has on her thyroid when she was young. Even more, the cancer is back and she is now going through surgery once again.

The endocrinologist mentioned about taking a biopsy if the ultrasound shows the nodules are growing. I don't know about you, but those words scare me. So many family members of mine have battled with cancer in one form or another, so that word makes me sick to my stomach.

Blegh.

Sorry for getting heavy and all hypochondriac on you today, but sometimes I just feel a need to write out my worries and frustrations. 

Pray that all goes well!

Labels:

23 Comments:

At September 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Jessica Holly said...

You're in my prayers Abbey!

 
At September 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said...

My mom had that same problem and had her thyroid removed a few years ago. Aside from not being able to talk for a while, it was a very easy procedure she said. Im having thryoid issues now and I am waiting on my results from bloodwork. I wish you the best of luck today!

 
At September 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Laura said...

I will say a prayer for you for God to bring peace and calm over you for your dr appt. for Him to be with you and with the dr's. For Him to give the knowledge needed to the dr's to best help you and help you feel at ease.

 
At September 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Kathryn said...

Just relax! My mom just finished going through this, and hers WAS cancer. But when all was said and done, she had it removed and did a little bit of radiation, but she's feeling great now and its only 6 months after the surgery. The good news is whatever is going on you are on top of it now. Thinking of you!
xo, Katie

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Praying for you...

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

thinking of you--hope everything goes ok.

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM , Blogger ZADIN said...

My thoughts are with you.

I'm sure you are going to be alright.
You have to maintain a positive attitude.

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm praying for you! and crossing my fingers. and knocking on wood.

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm praying for you! and crossing my fingers. and knocking on wood.

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Always Maylee said...

Sending positive vibes your way Abbey. Good luck!

xo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I'd be freaking out too--good luck, hope you hear good news soon and stay relatively calm. Hugs!

 
At September 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Sonja said...

Abbey, don't be silly! It is perfectly okay to worry about something scary like this. Prayers to you, my dear. Christ is there!

 
At September 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

i'm rooting for you and though you may not know me, i'm going to help you keep your head held up high! everything you feel is valid - this can definitely be a scary time. i hope your results are a relief!

pandaphilia style

 
At September 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM , Blogger Kira said...

My sister had nodules on her thyroid when she was 16. They were benign, but we're very large and had to be removed. She no longer has a thyroid and sometimes her levels are all off so they have to change her dosage, but for the most part she does just fine. She just has to take a pill every day. I will be praying that the daily pill is all you have to deal with and that no surgery is needed!

 
At September 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Chelsea said...

Oh, sweet girl, I feel for you today! Since I already have stage 3 melanoma, I receive CT scans once every 3 months. Last July "something" was showing up on my CT scans. I went in for an ultrasound of my thyroid, the tech did the exam and told me she would be back soon. About ten minutes later, a doctor walks in. I knew right then something was wrong. She did the ultrasound herself, told me as honestly as as she could, it could either be a tumor or a group of lymph nodes. She scheduled me the following week for a biopsy. Boy, THOSE NEEDLES HURT going into my neck, and since I was awake, it was terrifying. However, receiving the news that it was benign? Best feeling.

Good luck to you, little lady. I know the ultrasound and possible biopsies are scary, but tackle it head on. Thinking of you.<3 <3

 
At September 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Jenna said...

Thinking of you and praying for you my friend!

xxx
Jenna

 
At September 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM , Blogger p S h A o R t A o said...

I don't blame you for feeling uneasy, even just the thought about it is scary! I just had my first biopsy on a mole earlier this year (I'm very fair skinned with lots of moles = higher risk). Even that left me feeling uneasy but I learned how to deal with it and to be better about taking better care of my skin and getting checked more often. It was precancerous btw, so they removed some extra skin to be on the safe side.

You're not alone. If there's even anything to begin with, it will be caught early and there won't be any problem! I'll be thinking positively for you =)

 
At September 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM , Blogger Magz and Mez said...

Wishing you the best! hope to hear good news soon. my prayers are with you :)

 
At September 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Britt { Magpie Collective } said...

My mother and I both have thyroid issues, as well as Lupus. Her thyroid is covered with nodules, so much so that toy can see them when she looks up, and she goes back every year to have them tested. Don't let them scare you into having them removed. As long as they don't progress at a crazy rate or your hormone levels change, you're stable.

Stay away from ingesting iodine or anything with seaweed or seaweed extract, and see if it makes a difference. Keep your head up girl. It's always scary when your body is keeping secrets from you. :) Doctors assume the worst and have to, so that they cover their own asses and also to make sure they don't write you off! Hang in there.

Britt
The Secondhand Magpie

 
At September 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Emily said...

in your same boat, totally know how all of this is. i've had this since fourth grade and now am 22. its a long battle with lots of worries off and on. let us know how it all turns out, thinking about you.

 
At September 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM , Blogger paulina said...

He's cute:)

I'm inviting to my blog, dear!

 
At September 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I hope everything went well for you dear!

 
At September 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Good luck with everything. Defiantly be saying a few prayers for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home