<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : It's The Little Things

8.27.2012

It's The Little Things


Scrolling through these pictures last night, I found myself getting effusively teary-eyed. 

All of the things I love are found in every part of the photos... The blessing of a healthy and delightful child. Laughter. Furry little critters keeping us entertained. A husband behind the scenes, always there to ensure our happiness and well-being. A warm and inviting place to call home. 

What more is needed?

Tears of empathy and sorrow dripped down my face as I watched a television program last night, showcasing the lives of the elderly with nothing but walls lined with tattered photos for company. All their friends, family and loved ones had passed on or lived half a world away. Can you imagine not even having one person to simply talk with? Day in and day out, staring at the wall, withering away in your body that has slowly become your prison?

Fortunately, the show didn't keep the waterworks flowing, leaving me depressed (usually Netflix documentaries have that affect on me) but spotlighted the group Morningside Village. Based in Manhattan, the founder created the volunteer organization to match people with a senior citizen in need of, well, a friend. This was all a result of witnessing the neglect and over-worked staff in her mother's nursing home, and the point is to help the elderly live and thrive in their homes as long as possible. I was reminded of the power that a simple visit and smile holds.

This show reminded me of the good existing in the world. The people stepping outside of their selfish bubbles and enhancing the quality of life for those who know nothing but despair and misery. It's so easy to get caught up in the hum-drum and "woe is me" track of life, yet it is so pathetic once you experience a paradigm shift on behalf of others and realize your life suddenly isn't so terrible as you imagined. 

The inner dialogue in my brain on such an occasion:

"Crap, I missed the 30% off sale."

"There are children digging through garbage down the road looking for shoes to wear because they have none, you ingrate."

"Shoot! I'm all out brownie mix. Now what am I going to have for a treat?"

"Really? Why don't you donate that $1.89 to UNICEF for a change, to people who don't even have clean water available to drink?" 

"The air conditioning is busted. This heat is killing me."

"Hmmm... how about we talk about those people living without plumbing and not even the faintest idea of how electricity works."

So here I stand, striving to focus a little less on me, and a little more on others. All the while remembering it's the little things in life that count.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At August 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Megan Hatch said...

I have that same inner dialogue. Also, I LOVE the picture of Benny jumping up on little Lukey. So cute!

 
At August 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM , Blogger ZADIN said...

And to think there are women who spend thousands of dollars on a bag... when there are children who are dying of starvation... Sad... very sad..

www.zadinblog.com

 
At August 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Kristal said...

Absolutely beautiful photos. Those are the moments. :)
http://sincerelyarizona.blogspot.com/

 
At August 31, 2012 at 2:19 AM , Blogger Lischen said...

Aww.. these photos are so gorgeous! He's so cute!! :)

Lischen xxx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home