<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : My New Year's Resolution: Focus

12.31.2014

My New Year's Resolution: Focus


This 2014 year was good to me. I decided to make a change and use a single word to define the goal for my year. That word was intention. My thoughts on how I did? I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

I was sick of lying around and wasting my days. Being homebound is an obvious side effect of having an infant and a two year old, but I wanted my days to be more full, more meaningful. Intention was the perfect companion to those dull, and sometimes frustrating, days.

We thoughtfully went out and explored new places. I was able to expand my library and acquaint myself with new literature and music. I finally let myself let go of toxic feelings and people in my life. I worked really hard to find new opportunities in blogging and I feel like I achieved that. Conversely, I (kinda, sorta) learned how to unplug myself from technology without feeling guilt or impulse. (But I am still working on it!) We even moved to fulfill our needs for our growing family.

Like I said, 2014 really was a wonderful year. There were mounds of amazing growth, personally and as a family. And I look forward to carrying over my goals under the umbrella of intention into a new concept for 2015...

Focus.

All of those ideas and adventures I experienced were incredible, and I really learned how to seek after the things I want in life. I found a quote a few years ago, and it stuck out to me as a motto to live by, "In order to lead a fascinating life—one brimming with art, music, intrigue, and romance—you must surround yourself with precisely those things." So here I am! I am surrounding myself with the things I want in life. But it seems a little... messy? Chaotic? I feel like there were so many things I wanted to do that much of it got lost. They were buried deep in the thick of journals scribbled with thoughts and calendars unrealistically packed with events and deadlines.

This year is about highlighting the things that matter and applying a tack sharp focus on how to go about living a purposeful life "brimming with art, music, intrigue and romance." My time with Luke and Wes will be more attentive and less full of distractions. My relationship with Matt will be nurtured more and I will work to put down my phone or iPad and be completely present when we are watching a movie together or out on a date.

I am going to blog with more focus, too. This might mean I will be posting more of what I love. Whether it's a post full of photographs (something that has turned into a love and hobby for me) from a day discovering new places, or me writing out the innermost parts of my brain and heart, I want it to be meaningful. I want to share more of my thoughts on how I really feel about life and the things around me without being afraid of people thinking I am an idiot or a stark, raving lunatic. And I don't want to be apologetic for who I am. I am absolutely SICK of blog stats and dissecting my analytics reports. Seriously. Is it really going to matter how many visitors I had in 2015 when 2035 rolls around? I really don't think so. I am absolutely appreciative that this blog is able to bring in some extra income for our family, and it is not possible without that side of things, but I also feel that the glossy effect of commercials and magazines has slowly crept its way in to social media and blogs. And honestly, I don't know if that's all I ever want to see, or create. I love creating posts with content that is useful, but I want to know and show that people still bleed, and cry and are real.

I suppose the optimal word I am reaching for here is "relatable." That's why I do this. I want to find people like me. And chances are that if you are reading this, you are like me! In fact, I know we would be marvelous friends in real life! And that's what life is really all about. Relationships. To quote the great Maya Angelou, "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Here is to living with focus. Here is to intently concentrating on the moment. And here is to connecting with people in a genuine, conscientious way.

(Image source)
Image Map

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At December 31, 2014 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this retrospective post! Thank you for continuing to be real and honest on your blog, but most importantly, for writing what you are truly passionate about. (Cue "My Prerogative" by Bobby Brown)

Happy New Year!
-Chanelle -- thekimchronicles.com

 
At December 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for reading, Chanelle. I really appreciate your words! And I am already moving and swaying to Bobby! I can feel it! Also, let's not forget the Britney remake. ;)

 
At December 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This couldn't be more perfect! I have beens struggling to figure out my goals for this year and you nailed it on the head! Happy New Year!

Lauren
The Style Record

 
At December 31, 2014 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I totally love the idea of choosing a word for the new year! I never make resolutions because they seem silly to me. But choosing a word to live by sounds amazing! Now I need to pick my word :)

http://www.kaciesklosetblog.com/

 
At January 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Lived With Love said...

I need to do this too! Great post :)

 
At January 1, 2015 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great word for 2015! I love reading about everyone's goals and words for the new year, they'll all so hopeful and inspiring. Mine is embrace (: Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home