<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Restructuring My Diet... Help!

9.13.2012

Restructuring My Diet... Help!

Today I discussed the results of my blood tests and the ultrasounds I had done for my thyroid with my endocrinologist. If you read my post the other day, I don't have any thyroid tumors, which was the big concern. However, today I went in and found out I have what looks to be celiac disease. Let me just mention that today is Celiac Awareness Day. Alanis Morissette needs to incorporate me into her "Ironic" song... "It's finding you can never again eat wheat, barley or rye. Oh, and it's Celiac Awareness Day, so go have a good cry. It's like raaaaiiinnn on your wedding day..."

Honestly, I am so frustrated. The writing has been on the wall for a large portion of my life, and I am scratching my head as to why it has taken years for a health professional to find it now.

I am not writing this to get sympathy, but I am hoping that some of you can point me in the right direction for diet restrictions, great gluten-free recipes, and all around gluten-free living resources. Maybe we can even start a celiac disease club! I'll make the t-shirts, you bring the cookies. The ones with fake sugar and overwhelmingly healthy ingredients.  

In the meantime, here is the one and only gluten-free thing I've made (I tried it out the other day when I was suspecting I could have a gluten allergy). It is delicious, and I wanted to share it. You should try it out, whether or not your small intestines are deteriorating.


Agave and Lime Salmon (recipe taken from Gluten-Free Goddess)

Ingredients:
  • 4 serving sized pieces of wild caught salmon
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 4 scallions, sliced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • For the sauce:
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup raw organic agave nectar
  • Fresh lime juice from two large limes
  • A tiny, secret pinch of cinnamon- don't tell

Instructions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  • Tear off eight pieces of foil; two for each piece of salmon. Place one serving of salmon on one piece of foil. Season with a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
  • Combine the olive oil, agave, lime juice and touch of cinnamon in a glass measuring cup. Pour the sauce all over the salmon pieces.
  • Sprinkle the salmon with onions, scallions and garlic. Place the remaining pieces of foil on each serving and fold the edges to create a packet.
  • Bake in a preheated oven for roughly 20 minutes, till it flakes easily- but is not dried out.
  • Enjoy!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At September 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Tori Baldridge said...

Sad to hear that abbey! But keep that sense if hunor..."The ones with the fake sugar and the overwhelmingly healthy ingredients". You kill me
xoxo

 
At September 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Luckily for you gluten free products are becoming more and more readily available, but it does take time to find them and build your new food repitoire. It sounds obvious but google really is a good starting point, i can eat gluten but have stumbled upon a number of excellent gluten free recipe blogs that produce deeeeelicious food!
:)
xx

 
At September 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

I've done a fair bit of research and writing on celiac disease for a job that I did, and because a friend of mine has celiac. A really great starting point is Jennifer's Way I hope that is helpful to you. I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be. You are in my thoughts.
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At September 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Erinn said...

Check out the paleo diet! My husband was recommended to do it for other health reasons and besides the shock of losing the bread and other grains, it's going well! If you want any resources on it, I have a couple good ones :)
--Erinn

 
At September 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM , Blogger FWIL Sentimental Blog Content said...

So Sorry Abby! I have PCOS and have to eat like a diabetic often so I feel your pain! I did the Advocare 24 day challenge. It was a little pricey, but it broke me of sugar and carb addictions pretty fast. You'll learn it isn't too bad, there are great things you can have. My new favorite is a super healthy lettuce wrap recipe I found. Try this recipe- it won't let you down! http://racewithadvocare.com/lettuce-wraps/

 
At September 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM , Anonymous Caitlyn said...

Luckily there are tons of gluten-free options for cooking at home. Ancient Harvest's quinoa pasta is amazing, and there's gluten-free breads for when you get a craving.

It'll definitely be harder to eat out, but it's totally do-able!

I'm into eating gluten and dairy free lately, so be sure to check out my blog for recipes.

 
At September 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM , Blogger Kathrine Armstrong said...

Hi Abbey.

Sorry to hear that you have a food intolerance! But hopefully after a very short time you will feel the benefits of finding out and soon you will discover a whole new world of alternatives and great recipes :-) Six months ago we found out that my 4 year old boy is lactose intolerant! Very quickly he has adjusted to his new diet and is no 100% accepting that he can't have all the things he could before.

Have a look at this blog:

http://toriejayne.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Gluten%20Free

Se has a whole section of delicious gluten free cakes!

Good luck with your 'new' life! Have a great day

Regards Kathrine

 
At September 14, 2012 at 4:54 AM , Blogger Jessica Holly said...

Oh Abbey that's the worst! I've heard Kind Arthur flour and Bob's Red Mill have really good gluten free flour, mixes, etc. Also, do you remember Erin Collins? She just got diagnosed a couple weeks ago as well!

 
At September 14, 2012 at 6:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

my mother-in-law is gluten intolerant and i think she found it easier than she thought to adjust in some ways but harder in others--but then she does take it extremely seriously.

and just in case you were wondering djokovic is gluten intolerant too--that might make you feel better or not.

 
At September 14, 2012 at 6:49 AM , Blogger The Egg said...

hey lady, no biggie!
it sucks getting the news but it could be way worse. i found out this time last year that i'm allergic to eggs after being put to sleep to see if i had an ulcer down my throat. like, come on docs, test us FIRST for allergies! the irony on that one....my nickname is THE EGG and my freakin' blog name! anywho, just wanted to let you know that you will start to feel SO better once you cut what you are allergic to out. trust me. egg is literally in everything and so is gluten but everything made with rice will be your new best friend and tastes the same! my best friend has celiac disease and there are tons of options out there for you gluten-free folks!

you will be fiiiiiiiiiine and will feel a lot better! i'm happy they pinpointed the problem!!

xo the egg out west.

 
At September 14, 2012 at 7:48 AM , Blogger pretty little things said...

mmmm that salmon look amazing! xo

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

 
At September 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Bekka said...

I'm glad you have an answer for your health worries but change is hard.
I know this is a good site for lots of gluten ideas and she tries gluten free products and reviews them. She also lists restaurants with gluten free menus and options.

http://www.glutenfreefrenzy.com/

 
At September 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM , Blogger kami said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I remember how overwhelming it felt to go gluten free over two years ago for my little boy. I've been gluten free now myself for over a year and it gets easier. I don't miss the old foods much anymore because I feel so much better! It isn't tempting to me because it made me so sick (no diagnosis for me but I know I am at least intolerant because it gives me joint pain and horrible digestive issues). I have a food blog with lots of gluten or grain free recipes. I hope they will help you out!

 
At September 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM , Blogger p S h A o R t A o said...

Yikes, that's not a fun change. But I think because gluten free options are becoming more available you may adjust more easily than you might expect once you get past missing certain things with gluten in it.

A close friend of mine suspected she had celiac disease but she was just sensitive to gluten food. She was fortunate to be close to someone who had the disease so she was able to get help getting adjusted. She also found blogs with all kind of recipes, so if that's what you're looking for, you can do just that! Pinterest may also be another good source for recipes.

I hope the adjustment isn't too difficult!

 
At February 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I seem to have a gluten sensitivity, but not with all gluten. It's super bizarre. I haven't been tested, but I've been paying more attention to my body and noticed the difference.
Anyway, to answer about gluten-free foods/recipes. Have you heard of glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com She has a bunch of really nice recipes, along with roostblog.com I have a few gluten-free recipes on my blog as well, but not nearly the number that the women who write for the previous two I mentioned.
You probably already know this, but I was reading in a Dr. Mercola article that gluten is also a reaction that occurs when specific food ingredients ( don't recall their funky names) are together, so just because something says "gluten-free" on the package doesn't necessarily mean it is. So, if you find yourself still experiencing symptoms after eating "gluten-free" foods, that might be something to consider.

 
At February 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

oops! I just saw that you link to gluten free goddess. :-0

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home