<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : The Bloggernacle

2.12.2012

The Bloggernacle

My mind is racing with a million thoughts today, that cannot seem to be halted.

Let's start from the top.

Today is Sunday. As many of you know, I'm a Mormon. Didn't know that? Now you do. What are your first thoughts and reactions to this? You're a Mormon too? You have tons of Mormon friends? Your neighbors growing up were Mormon and they were just some of the nicest people you knew? Never heard of Mormons? You think Mormons are part of some twisted, "Big Love"-esque cult? 

I've heard and seen every response to the revelation of being a Mormon. Sometimes it's scary to tell people you are, for fear of being ostracized or judged. Sometimes people just smile and say, "I know".


Anyway, I was sitting in church today thinking about if people know I'm a Mormon. I have never been one to throw it in people's faces, and I admit that I feel awkward and afraid to bring it up with people at times. However, I have always possessed a desire to share it with people who are open and looking for some good in their life, especially if they feel they haven't already found it.


This stirred a thought in my mind about how there are so many blogs written by fabulous Mormon women and mamas...

"All of us Mormon folks seem to have taken over 80% of the blogosphere. Why is that?"  

Think about the celebrity blogs that are a household regular in all of us lifestyle/fashion blog lovers lives. We have The Daybook, The Rockstar Diaries, Nat the Fat Rat... the list is extensive and full of the amazing lives of women, whom we all have wished we could be a time or two (don't be ashamed, we all do it).

In my quest to find an answer, I stumbled upon this article, authored by a "young, feminist atheist" who just so happens to be obsessed with Mormon mom blogs.


Her prose is raw, unbiased, and refreshingly ironic. She sums up the answer to the "what's with all the Mormon bloggers" question perfectly. In case you were wondering.

I guess my point in all of this is I am glad and proud to be a Mormon. 

I am not perfect, nor do I feign to be. Yes, I do hate the world at times. No, I cannot french braid and Matt is lucky if he gets dinner once a week. Yes, I have cursed before. No, I will not bake your wedding cake, do your floral arrangements, and sew your wedding dress, because guess what? I don't know how (I do, however, take pleasure in crafts and DIY things, but on a small scale)!

But, I do love being a Mormon for the well-known happiness it brings to its members. That happiness is not the pretend kind. My joy comes in the knowledge that I am a daughter of God, that I have divine worth, and that Jesus Christ indeed lives and is my Savior.

And it's as simple as that, my dears.

Do me a solid and hop on over here to submit your daily vote! xoxo

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At February 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Brooke @ Silver Lining said...

I love that article!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM , Blogger Bree said...

Such a great post!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Alyx said...

Pahahaha I can't sew, cook, or craft. I think curse words like a sailor (I'm working on it), I wear bikinis, and sometimes i wish I could wear shorter shorts.
But... I like being mormon, and even though I'm not the best at it all the time, the gospel rocks and I know it's true. Wooo!!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM , Blogger L!$@ said...

I'm not a mum but I am mormon. Some of the things people have said just make me laugh so hard! I once had a friend ask if I was allowed to use any drugs at all...I may have started laughing and said "You know my dad's a pharmacist! Of course I can use drugs. Just not the illegal kind. I just personally choose to avoid them unless seriously necessary."

 
At February 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't cook either?! *phew* I thought I was the only one. My hubs is a much better cook than I am and so we just started this thing where he cooks...so that we don't eat out. Haha.

 
At February 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Elisha said...

those are the cutest pictures eveerrr!!<3

 
At February 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Crystal Seed said...

OH My! That pic of him eating your nose is just the most adorable thing EVER!!! I love that!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Amy Harris said...

i am a recent follower of your blog and in the back of my mind i have wondered if you were LDS...and now i know. i love that article.. it's so true when she says the mormon blog culture is "uplifting." i love that you are real and i love that you shared this. thanks!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

I dont have a specific religion, but not long ago read a fair bit about the Mormon faith. It really spoke to me. I don't think you should ever be worried or nervous about other people's reactions to your faith. It is a part of who you are. :)
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At February 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely post. I actually didn't realize that you were Mormon, and I didn't realize that there were so many Mormon's in the bloggy world. But, I'm not surprised. I was raised Mormon and through the religion was always taught to journal. Maybe that is why there are so many Mormon bloggers? Blogging is basically an online journal.

I have a great admiration and love for Mormons and their beautiful religion. The most amazing people I know are Mormons.

xo,
Shannon
http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

 
At February 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM , Blogger Amy @ Amy Day to Day said...

This was a great post, Abbey! Straight to the point, but sweet. I'm proud to be one too!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

Very well said. I actually came across that article yesterday, so it is funny that I am seeing it again on here. I agree that it sometimes can be awkward when telling people about being Mormon, because many people automatically stereotype you and have tons of questions. But at the same time it feels so good to share our faith with others! Great post!
Modern Modest Beauty

 
At February 13, 2012 at 3:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't really know a lot about being a mormon--but I am not that well religiously informed--but a lot of the blogs I read are written by LDS memebers. I think if you are happy then that is all that matters, who is anyone else to judge?

 
At February 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Jenna Duty said...

i am mormon too girl :) and it's true there are a lot of really great blogs written my mormon women. including yours! great post!!

xoxo
Jenna Duty

www.thedutyfamily.blogspot.com

 
At February 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

i've often wondered about that too! i see a lot of mormon bloggers but it's great cause they are some of the happiest bloggers so it's always fun to read!

http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

 
At February 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

this post just made my day! I know exactly how you feel about telling people you are mornon. We must stand up loud and proud and carry on being who we are! You're blog is so great- happy I found it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home