<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : To Do And Not To Do

1.05.2012

To Do And Not To Do

Mustard headband: Sprightly So. Blouse: LOFT. Cardi: LOFT. Baby bump: 38 weeks.
My new favorite way to wear my hair: the retro side bun.
This is my awkward transition face. Can you see the aging that's happening as a result of growing a human? I guess my sister was right... pregnancy causes wrinkles! AAAHHH!


Child birth is getting closer everyday, peeps. Belly has dropped, making it even more huge, and I'm at the point where people in public just stare at me with no shame. 

After some thought, I've decided it would be best for all parties if I compiled a go-to list of the do's and don'ts of dealing with pregnant women. You may find this resourceful if you yourself have never had a bun in the oven or if you are a man. If you are a sleep-deprived,  crazy mom, you can just nod your head and agree. 

-Do hold the door open for pregnant ladies. Sometimes the inertia of pulling open a door while your center of gravity has shifted to an awkward middle region can result in running into things or falling over.

-Do not stare. Seriously. I know we all like to look and think, "Aww, look at the cute baby bump!", but that's not how the prego monster on the other end of it feels. She probably feels something more like this... "Is my fly down? Do I have pen marks on my face or something? Why the crap is this person maddoggin' me?"

-Do give short and succinct compliments if you can't resist the urge. Something along the lines of, "I just want to tell you I think you are the most beautiful pregnant woman" is nice. More than that can get annoying and seem more sympathetic than complimentary.

-Do not try to guess how far along someone is and use it as a conversation starter. Everyone's body is different. Everyone carries their babies differently. Don't tell me I'm having a boy or a girl based on this observation. I know what I'm having, I don't need your "expert" advice.

-Do be patient and remain calm if a pregnant person is curt with you. Or has a sudden breakdown. Remember, it's not you, it's the hormones. Reacting in a hostile manner will only increase the irrational behavior from the mama bear.

 These are just the most important things I have encountered, but the list could go on for days. I think it's a very handy list. Feel free to print it out and carry it in your wallet. After all, half the people these days are with child. Feel free to add on your do's and don'ts as well. 
By the way, I have a guest post up today at Across The Pond, detailing the story of how I got into this pregnant state in the first place. It's quite a funny story. You should probably go read it.

And one more thing. Go here to enter my $25 Anthropologie gift card giveaway if you haven't already!

That is all. This is Abbey signing out. Goodbye.

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

At January 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love the hair!!

 
At January 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Alyx said...

Hahaha, definitely got a laugh out of this. Thanks for that.

 
At January 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Melu103 said...

bahahahaha let's print this and make it a frame!
that would be so cute!




xoxo
Melina ♥
www.onlyaflightaway.blogspot.com

 
At January 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

you are so gorgeous mama!

 
At January 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Theresa said...

You are just the prettiest thing ever, you and your baby bump. ♥
And definitely a useful list to keep in mind. haha

 
At January 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM , Blogger SHUG IN BOOTS {Beth} said...

Love the hair, and your Do's and Don'ts to help people who lack compassion and/or common sense. I'm gonna work on a "stay away from me" face for one day when I'm preggers. Almost there! Good luck, girl!

 
At January 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Kira said...

It was frustrating for me every time a stranger would make a comment related to my weight such as guessing how far along I was (and always being way off), proclaiming that "it's going to be a huge baby", or asking me if I'm sure it's not twins. I don't know why people think they can say hurtful things to pregnant women and get away with it.

 
At January 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Elisha said...

what aging??! your GORGEOUS!!<3

 
At January 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks for the prego do's and don't list! Truth be told I've never been sure how pregnant woman prefer to be complimented since I've never been pregnant :/

On that note however I just want to tell you that I think you're a very beautiful pregnant woman ;)

xoxo
Jenna

 
At January 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love your hair band! x

 
At January 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

love the hairdo - and i think you look great. :)

 
At January 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

These are great dos and donts! I will be sure to remember them for the future. And these pictures are beautiful. You look gorgeous. Love the headband!
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At January 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Kerrie Williams said...

lol this is hillarious. I'll keep these things in mind for sure.

 
At January 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM , Blogger stephanie said...

hahaha people always tried to guess how far along i was and they were always wrong!!! and they would always say wow you are so big! twins? hahaha so annoying. but you look amazing!!! and your hair is dreamy. glad i stumbled on your blog! xo

 
At January 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Heather said...

If I could add to the list:
Do not tell a pregnant person how big they look. Or offer unsolicited pregnancy advice.

 
At January 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Shawna Faye said...

You look fabulous! I looked and felt like a beached whale at 38 weeks. And I loved your list of dos and don'ts to pregnant women. Pregnancy must disable people's brains or something. I can't tell you how many times I went home in tears over something rude that someone said to me. Only a few more weeks til you have your little babe to cuddle! Best of luck!

 
At January 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You are glowing! Beautiful!

xo Shane

 
At January 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM , Blogger Andrea @ Strawberry Chic said...

haha, I know exactly how you feel! and I might add to the list...don't tell a pregnant women that she is getting HUGE (although you may just be referring to the growing bump, it's never flattering to hear how large you are :)

Your almost there! Good luck with everything!

 
At January 6, 2012 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Abbey I found your blog today and so glad I did...such a cute blog you have here! :-)

How cute do you look...I love that poka dot shirt! And love the collages on your wall...and the hair band...oh wow I am sounding slightly creepy! ha anywho and I had to laugh at the "don't share" b/c I totally know what you mean! One lady told me I was carrying so low it looked like my baby was going to fall out of me! really!??! lol oh gosh. Gotta love it.

 
At January 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So exciting! You look radiant!

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

 
At January 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

I love your headband.
and I also say the best thing is if someone doesn't know what to say then don't say anything!
When I was pregnant with my 2nd around 6 months I had a male customer say I was gonna be like octomom....ummmmm.....yeah way to be a jerk and then asked if I was having twins. And I was barely showing honest to God. I had another customer say I looked weird. Well thank you lady, you are weird.
Pregnancy makes people have no filter!
But you are gorgeous!

 
At January 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Sal {Daniel and I} said...

Fair and helpful do's and don'ts. When I'm pregnant I know that I won't be able to handle the attention. It seems so bizarre because it's something so private that people like to make public. I think my temper get me into trouble inevitably and my husband will assuredly tell me to calm down a gazillion times a day!

I have just found your blog but I hope it's smooth sailing from here on out for you!
Sal x

 
At January 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Anna Demko said...

It was a great story and you have an inner Dickens in ya! Thanks for sharing


happymedley.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home