<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Learning Self-Love And Inspiring Words To Live By For 2016

12.31.2015

Learning Self-Love And Inspiring Words To Live By For 2016



With 2015 coming to a close, this is the time of year where we all take some quiet moments to reflect on what we've achieved, learned, and overcome. Some of the experiences were joyful and exhilarating, while others were painful and unsettling.

I love feeling a sense of connection to these feelings through words. Quite obviously then, my favorite way to seek inspiration and represent said thoughts is through quotes. I've saved myself hundreds of dollars of therapy by finding the perfectly-stated sentiment or enlightening article. (Thank you, Internet!)



"Be softer with you. You are a breathing thing. A memory to someone. A home to a life." – Nayyirah Waheed

"You can't eat beauty, it doesn't sustain you. What is fundamentally beautiful is compassion, for yourself and those around you. That kind of beauty enflames the heart and enchants the soul." – Lupita Nyong'o


"Being your true self is the most effective formula for success there is." – Danielle Laporte


"I used to think I was the strangest person in the world, but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it's true I'm here, and I'm just as strange as you." – Frida Kahlo



"Love ourselves completely for who we are and not who we think we were or should be." – Satsuki Shibuya

And there it is. After taking inventory of my personal struggles and doubts, my word for 2016 is...

Self-love.

I decided to choose a word to live by and work toward for the new year starting in 2014. That first year's word was intention and 2015 was focus. It was a life-giving decision. Delving in and grasping those words helped me more fully understand myself. Introspection and self-awareness is never an easy task, but it is crucial for growth and leading a content life.

I am now at a place in my life where I need to practice self-love. Somewhere along the way I turned into a people-pleaser, and while it is a wonderful thing to be respectful and considerate of people's feelings, I have neglected my own. And honestly, I have spent the last few months in a place of self-doubt and anger. I allowed my soul and personality to be robbed of its unique traits because I wanted be well-liked by everyone I encountered. Unfortunately, that is impossible. People do not share unifying beliefs or standards, no matter how ideal it sounds. Being unacknowledged or disliked is the crossfire of that truth. But it doesn't mean we are any less—that I am any less. In fact, it means I am true to my personality, including its quirks and weirdness.

Throughout my life I've battled with depression and anxiety, and my perception of that was immensely shifted once I heard that depression is anger turned inward. After picking up the pieces of my brain from my mind being blown, I allowed that statement to grant me absolution and set me free.

Self-love is embracing my distinct characteristics. I want to look at other people's beauty and not doubt my own. I want to give myself permission to experience negative feelings without letting them control my life. I want to say no without feeling guilty or fearful, and I want to say yes without feeling guilty or fearful. I want to listen to my mind and body when it says, "I need a break!" and honor that impression. I want to listen to more music that sets my chest on fire. I want to recognize and celebrate the talents of others and cease from letting my mind fill with envy. I want to practice honest forgiveness. I want to take better care of my body and fill my days with more activity and time spent in nature. I want to fulfill my need to create art and do it with an unrestrained courage. I want 2016 to be the year where I stop criticizing myself, which will help me halt my oftentimes harsh criticism of others, in turn giving power to a pure outward love.

Happy New Year, and may it be full of inspiration and success!

Image sources 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At December 31, 2015 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Bekka said...

I have a lot of love for you lady. You're doing a great job at being an incredible person. I love your authenticity and openness. It is so refreshing in a world full of illusions. When you're waning in self-love, let the love of others propel you to let you love yourself. Miss you daily!

 
At January 1, 2016 at 1:38 PM , Blogger JLynn Justad said...

A memory to someone...I love that. I think committing to self-love is beautifully inspiring in a culture that seems to thrive off of envying what everyone has or how everyone else looks. Thank you for sharing your sweet thoughts and Happy New Year to you!! xx

 
At January 1, 2016 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Suzy said...

Wow, that's powerful! Beautifully said--here here! (And P.S. I relate more than I can say.) A heartfelt Happy New Year to you.

 
At January 2, 2016 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Bianca said...

I am sucker for words, and these are so fitting. Happiest new year to you & your family.

 
At January 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Wow, lady. So much of that was so relatable. I am in the place of hating myself and it is NASTY. I was depressed almost all of 2015 and there was so much darkness. My goal for the new year is to learn to fall in love with my life & be okay with myself. Wishing you all the best in 2016 - may it be filled with growth & self-love. You've got this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home