<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : 7 Things I've Learned Having A Kid

4.06.2013

7 Things I've Learned Having A Kid


There is great debate in the world as to whether having children is the right choice for everyone. I get that, I respect that, but kiddos are insanely awesome. It's the type of craziness and happiness bundled into a chubby, pink, tiny human that cannot be explained until you actually have the kid. Kind of a frightening thought, the whole "you break it, you bought it" mentality, although to put it more accurately it would be a "you conceived it, your stuck with it" situation.

So, with my biased views thrown out there, here are 7 highly valuable things I have learned from having a bambino, which translates into 7 reason why I think people should have kids:

1) Love. Like I said, that love is like no other. It's as if your heart jumps out of your body and engulfs itself in this little person, and then multiplies till you think it will burst.

2) Being a parent practically forces you into some sort of organization and cleanliness. Let it be known that a trail of messiness followed my path everywhere I walked before Luke entered the picture. Clutter and all that junk hardly bothered me, and piling things in a closet out of sight felt clean enough. Babies, however, are an entirely different story. They are so sticky and covered with poo and all kinds of weird crap you didn't think could humanly be possible to excrete. Alas, regular cleaning is essential to maintain sanity and you should see my floors these days! Sparkling (almost)!

3) Patience is not a virtue I innately possess, but it is slowly edging its way into my character. Rushing frantically and feeling pressed for time has ceased and I am more gracious in allowing things to happen as they will. 

4) Sometimes I like to have pity parties and feel sorry that my world no longer revolves around me, but then Luke will reach out for comfort and protection and place his darling, fluffy-haired head on my shoulder. Knowing that someone needs you and depends upon you is the grandest, fulfilling emotion. Is it daunting and frustrating some days? Abso-freaking-lutely. But, I am a firm believer that the new-found adapted selflessness of caring for children transcends over into the way you treat and care for others. It's bonkers, and I love it.

5) Babies and kids are funny. That first time they play games with you, laugh with you and do hilarious things makes all the screaming, throwing food, whining, and fake tears seem piddly. 

6) Now, I haven't experienced this next one, but I am banking on it to be one of my all-time, heart-melting-into-a-puddle-of-love, favorite moments in my entire existence... the first time your babe utters those life-altering words, "I love you." Gahhhh. The stuff dreams are truly made of.

7) Figuring out this whole parenting thing with Matt has enhanced our love, appreciation and overall marriage. We've combined forces and we are a team, tighter than ever. For the most-part, we agree on how we parent which I believe is vital. Unmatched parenting styles could spell out disaster, but everyone is different. It's also pretty incredible to see a small version of the man you adore running around. We are more complete, things make more sense, and watching your burning hunk of love take care of your baby is sexy. I mean really, what is more attractive than a dad bonding and playing with their child? That's why people keep having babies. It's a powerful aphrodisiac, I tell you!

What are your thoughts on having kids? Is it for you, for everyone? Why? Why not? Seriously, I want to know!

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At April 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Thanks for this post, loved it.

 
At April 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Mia @ The Chronicles of Chaos said...

I love your lessons. I absolutely agree with every single one. Becoming a mom was the best thing that happened to me. :)

 
At April 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Torrie @ Fox + Hazel said...

You put so many feelings into words so succinctly! I especially agree with your last one. I don't think I have ever loved my husband more than I do now! It's totally sexy to see men love their kids! Being a mama has been the best decision I've ever made :) Preach it girl!

 
At April 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I completely agree with your lessons. I am becoming more patient too. It's crazy. Also, I've learned I am not grossed out eating something my daughter has half eaten or whatever. lol

 
At April 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Jennifer Collver said...

I love being a mom so much. My kids are amazing and they crack me up daily with their craziness and I couldn't imagine life without those three in it :) And yes when they tell me they love me - It's pretty much the best thing in the world!

 
At April 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This post made me tear up a bit, in a bittersweet way. It really was a lovely post. I pray everyday that I can one day experience the joys of becoming a mother.

 
At April 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is so spot on! I loved it! Every single point you made was so true.

 
At April 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM , Blogger The Egg said...

you are such a wonderful mama!
i cant wait to have kids.

xo the egg out west.

 
At April 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Dawnelle @ Just Dawnelle said...

Oh how true is this?? There seriously is nothing greater than having your own children. It is one of those things that can not quite be understood until you've had the experience. The love that a child has for their parents and parents have for their children can not be duplicated.

I too have noticed a huge debate in our world these days about whether or not having children is the best thing, but I am with you... there is nothing more special, selfless, loving, or real than having and caring for someone so dependent on you. It truly is THE best and most fulfilling thing I feel I could EVER do in this life.

 
At April 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Elle said...

I loved this. I don't have kids and am nowhere near ready for kids, but I smiled throughout the whole post. I especially loved the part about seeing a small version of the man you adore running around. I do look forward to that part and hope I have several little boys :)

 
At April 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

I love this post. I've never been a "kid person" but ever since I got married 4 years ago, all I've wanted to do is be a mom. Kids are still a ways away in our future, but your advice and lessons are wonderful encouragement to me. Thank you!!

 
At April 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Kathleen Harper said...

Aw such a cute post and even cuter pictures! Love it!
<3
katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

 
At April 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Jess said...

My little is due in 5 short weeks and I can't wait to experience every one of these things!!!

 
At April 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

i thought i was one of those people who wasn't going to have kids. i was like 'nope, kids are not for me'. as a kid myself i hated babysitting, i'd rather mow lawns or shovel snow or anything else to make money. i killed my 'baby egg' in home ec in college... i forgot which one it was and cooked it for breakfast. so so terrible. but then, a few months after getting married, i saw those two little pink lines and i think a switch flipped and i turned on mom-mode. and now, i can't imagine not being a mama! for all the reasons you posted and then some! it's fantastic :)

 
At April 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Hannah said...

So sweet.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

 
At April 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to be a mum but as I've gotten more into my 20's I've realized that you can not give them back. YOu are stuck with this tiny person for the rest of your life. It used to be that maybe they'd strike out on their own at 18, maybe 22, but I'm 27 and just had to move back in with my parents. Ahh! I still absolutely want kids and I do not want to be 50 when they're 10, but I also know I want to spend a few years with my boyfriend/husband before adding another human to the mix. PS love the hiney shot, did he just start napping there on the floor? That's another kid lesson-- naps can and will happen anywhere at any time.

 
At April 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Katie said...

This really makes me excited to have children one day. Love this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home