<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : A Random Thing Or Two-sday

3.19.2013

A Random Thing Or Two-sday



 Shirt: DIY. Cardigan: LOFT. Denim: LOFT. Hat: Target. Sandals: c/o JellyPop.

1) Last week Luke and I ventured out for our weekly outing to the library. As you pull in there is a little area to the left where other cars can come out because it is a one way, loop-around deal in the parking lot, however the incoming traffic (me) has the right of way. Really, there should be a stop sign at this spot.

So, I turned in and this crazy old bat was furiously driving, like she wasn't going to get a parking spot or something nonsensical because there were plenty of slots open. We did the little, "are you going, or am I going?" for a millisecond because I realized I had the right of way (as mentioned before) and I feel very strongly about taking my privileges with right of ways (don't even get me started on waiting for people to back out...). Out of nowhere she started honking like a mad woman and I am positively sure she was screeching expletives at me. Yikes, right? It's only the beginning.

As I walked in carrying Luke on my hip, the thought drifted into my mind, "Aww, crap. I am probably going to run into this lady here in the libra--" Mid-thought I see this silver-haired, raging woman out of the corner of my eye and she starts making a scene.

"You are so incredibly rude! And you have a child? You should be ashamed of yourself driving that way and cutting people off!"

I didn't dignify her with a single word. I couldn't! I didn't want to put Luke through that awkwardness because he would have started bawling, and if I opened my mouth there would have been a scene. For once in my life, I chose to do the mature thing (but I was thinking, "Okay lady, first of all, you cut me off, and second, don't tell me how to drive with my child. Clearly you are the one that needs to learn the rules of the road and we were going like 10 miles an hour, so I would hardly consider condemning me and my child's hypothetical safety).

Luke and I strolled in like nothing happened and returned our books as peacefully as possible. Then I heard that terrifying screech coming from behind again!

"You need to learn some manners, young lady! I absolutely cannot believe you. I am thoroughly disgusted!"

I didn't turn around at this point, and just looked up and smiled at the library patron in front of me, whose face was a mixture of horror and forced happiness.

I probably sound like a total jerk after sharing this story, but the moral of it is, I had the right of way and this lady harassed me because I took advantage of my rights! Was I in the wrong here? If anything, this lady sounds like she needs a cookie (or a drink?) and I should have bought her a muffin at the library coffee stand looking back on it in retrospect.

2) Fact: Apparently bad driving is hereditary (source).

3) In case you missed it and since I am still bursting at the seams as a proud parent, Luke took his first steps!

4) This is funny (even though I already posted it on my Facebook a week ago, it deserves a second viewing).

5) Would you rather cry tears of puff paint or honey?

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At March 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Kaycie Eddie said...

That lady is so bizarre! That would have terrified me, haha. I think you had the best reaction. Nice work :)

 
At March 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Dawnelle @ Just Dawnelle said...

Oh I'm with you... haha I had a little encounter with a crazy older lady the other day on my way out of a store. It was pouring outside so I was standing just inside the door packing my baby girl up in her carseat and grabbing all my bags out of the cart so I could throw everyone and everything in the car quickly and not get too soaked. My boy was standing kind of in the door, but he wasn't running around and it was an exit only. Some lady comes running in the exit and then proceeds to yell at me about my kid in the way and how he shouldn't be playing around because children should only play at home. So yeah... I was a little frustrated. I just told myself that she obviously didn't have any children and had a hard time reading because it was raining so hard... haha

 
At March 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

what a loon! my mom and i have a deal that if either of us starting acting that way ever, we are to be locked away until we can recover!! proud of you for keeping your cool!

 
At March 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Dawnelle @ Just Dawnelle said...

PS... LOVE THE SHIRT!

 
At March 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Kathleen Harper said...

Lovely hat - I love the shape and color of it and now I want one for myself, so versatile! And this shade of pink looks great on you! And lets not forget those sick leopard sandals! Love!!
<3
katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

 
At March 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Gretchen Ann Longtin said...

You had the right of way. It's a rule! Lately I feel like everyone around me is driving crazy!! I have to do 70 on a 65 just to keep up with everyone else, and I'm usually still being passed. And don't even get me started on merging into a different lane...does anyone look over their shoulder anymore!!! I love your blog.

 
At March 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Gretchen Ann Longtin said...

Oh not to mention I probably would have cried if some mean person cussed me out like that.

 
At March 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM , Blogger Janea said...

Maybe I would feel differently if I had a child, but honestly people like that don't learn unless you mouth off back to them. I wouldn't have screamed at her but I probably would have engaged her.

Then told her if she didn't stop harassing me I'd call the police and that I already had her license plate number. I am ON IT when it comes to right-of-way laws (lol HATE when people stop when they don't have a stop sign!!!) so I know how you feel.

On another note - great hat!! Hats look terrible on me. And I love those sandals. Great post.

http://2brokelagirls.blogspot.com

 
At March 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hahaha, I am literally burst out in laughter as I read this. Trust me, I was SO CLOSE to doing it, but with a baby in tow it changed things a little. Luke tends to mimic everything I do and then things would have gone hog wild! Too bad you weren't there with me!

 
At March 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

People ARE crazy! Or maybe we are just the crazy ones? ;)

 
At March 20, 2013 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Torrie @ Fox + Hazel said...

Gosh, I'm impressed you were able to bite your tongue - I would've been telling that old lady where she could stick HER manners! Some people. I hear ya on the road rules! I am a jerk on the road because I have NO hesitation to honk at people when they're in the wrong. My husband & in-laws think it's hilarious because I honk at everyone for anything that is bad driving. If you can't be bothered to signal for a lane change, then stop driving because you're clearly too lazy! GOSH, haha.

On a cheerier note, I would rather cry tears of honey. Then that cup of tea we have when we're bawling our eyes out would also be conveniently sweet ;)

 
At March 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Amanda English said...

Love, love, love the hat! It is really hard to hold ones tongue that's for sure... It def takes a skill. ;)

xoxo
A-
Today's Post: Ella Lane Giveaway

 
At March 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

First off thank you for sharing your story. I don't think that age gives anyone the right to treat someone else like crap. Even if you were in the wrong, it still doesn't give her the right to yell at you in front of your child. You did the right thing by ignoring her. Sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing. It's also the hardest but the best.

Next i love your outfit. The hat, everything is perfect. Hope your next experience at the library goes better.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

 
At March 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM , Blogger Gabrielle Riddell said...

Older folks are getting worse with driving as the years go by. I have people honking at me from behind just because I'm turning right and they don't want to stop and let me turn... really!?

 
At March 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM , Blogger The Egg said...

old hag.

xo the egg out west.

 
At March 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that goat video is hilarious! I could not stop laughing! thanks for sharing!

kieranhoneybee.blogspot.com

 
At March 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Megan Colwell said...

Such a relaxing outfit. Love the ombre shirt!

The Nautical Owl

 
At March 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would have told her that if she can't see that you have the right of way, she should not be driving. i am such an angry driver because people are so dumb. i got stuck behind someone randomly stopping and going 10 in a 50 zone today (only one lane) on my way to work. i lost it and started screaming out my window. it took me an extra 10 minutes to get down the road, and then i ended up being 25 minutes late to work.

 
At March 22, 2013 at 5:41 AM , Blogger Always Maylee said...

You look so cute in a hat! Crazy old bat, hahaha. I probably would have started crying just to make her feel bad. And she totally needed a cookie, maybe even a whole pie! :)

xo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee

 
At March 22, 2013 at 6:16 AM , Blogger sepatuholig-Grace Njio said...

Love the ensemble, amazing sandals!
http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/

 
At March 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Jane V. said...

Hi! I just recently found your blog through Lemons, Avocados, and the Bay...totally love you carefree so-cal style!!

Yea, in regards to the parking lot debacle...it is better to walk away from that kind of situation. Seems like she was just itching for a fight!! Some people just do not have anything better to do.

:-)

Jane B.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home