<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Luke's 3rd Birthday!

1.14.2015

Luke's 3rd Birthday!








Today was good. In all the possible forms of good imaginable. And when I mean good, I actually mean fantastic. Luke turned three, and I have to say, I think three is going to be a really wonderful year for him. For us. He just gets better and better each and every day. From the eager, "Mommy I help you!" to the, "I so sorry, Mommy" whenever he thinks he has done something terrible (and he really hasn't), I just love who he is as a person.

I had his birthday table all set up this morning so it was the first thing he saw when he came downstairs for breakfast. We had his hand-picked Trix, his balloon, party hats and a few of his presents waiting for him. And let me tell you firsthand that his smile was beaming from cheek to cheek. He obviously tore into his presents to find that his birthday wish for a "Mack truck" came true. I am SO happy I was able to catch that pure delight on camera.

When I asked him what he wanted his birthday theme to be this year it was Cars. Hands down. I asked him a solid four times, just to be sure, and it was always the same answer: "Lighning McKeen." So, we took the idea and ran with it. I slaved away in the kitchen making him a custom cake with marshmallow fondant. Literally though. I was sweating, smelly and covered in sugar, marshmallow goo and dye by the end of the SIX hour ordeal. Matt came in and said at one point, "What is the matter with your hands? It looks like you got into a fight with someone." Yes, that fight was the three hours I spent kneading and molding the stupid fondant, thank you. None of this angst and plight mattered though because, again, his face when he saw the silly blob of cake made it all worth it.

After days and hours of waiting to eat the beloved cake, the cousins came over in the evening and celebrated with us. And then I said, "Let them eat cake!" ;)

I've been thinking a lot today about what I want to write about Luke. What is it that I want to always remember? I think it's all of the little things that I won't be able recall about this stage of his life, even six months from now. You know, all of his funny phrases and idiosyncracies, what he looks like, and what his favorites are. (Even though I always tell myself I will absolutely not forget these details and always do.) So, I made a list.

  • Height: 38 inches
  • Hair: Short and blond
  • Teeth: 20
  • Favorite toys: Trains, trucks and cars, and anything to do with farms or Disney
  • Favorite food: Cereal, fruit, and corn dogs
  • Favorite drink: Chocolate milk
  • Favorite movies: Toy Story, Cars, Land Before Time, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Rio
  • What he likes to do for fun: Going to the park with "the big red slide," riding his scooter or skateboard, playing with aforementioned toys
  • Funny things he says: 
    • "Dark Gator" (Darth Vader); 
    • "Happle" (Apple). 
    • "What's that those?" (What is that of yours? I think, ha). 
    • "I don't have no gas poops."
    • "_____ scccaaawwyyy" (Everything is scary and he says it in this low, solemn tone.)
  • Sweet things he does that I want to remember forever:
    • Every morning, without fail, I wake up to him standing by my bed saying, "Good morning, Mommy!" with the hugest smile on his face. It's THE BEST.
    • He always alerts me whenever Wes wakes up in the morning or from a nap so we can "go get him." He cares so much about his little brother, even if he bonks him over the head five hundred times a day. 
    • Whenever Wes cries, Luke always informs me that "Wes needs milk."
    • Luke pretends he is "working" on a regular basis. I most recently found him sitting on top of his potty in the corner of the bathroom on his "compooter." The answer is always, "I'm working like Daddy!" I love how enthralled he is with Matt. Their relationship is golden.
    • When he is tired he sucks on his tongue in place of his pacifier and plays with the threads on the corners of his mimis. And yes, he has two mimis. A yellow one with stars and a blue one.
    • He prays when he is pretend playing. It's one my most favorite things to walk up on. His voice gets very quiet and hushed and he "prays" for all of his toys. But his prayers always sounds like this, "Cars prayers... trains prayers... Daddy prayers..." I. LOVE. IT.
    • Luke is like a mother hen when it comes to Wes. Being bossy is obviously part of the big brother territory, but he is extremely vigilant about Wes playing with certain things and saying, "He too YITTLE! He get hurt!" (Luke also makes a great parrot.)
    • When he pedals on his scooter he lifts up his back leg like a classically trained figure skater once he starts gliding. (Toes pointed and all.) It's both hilarious and impressive.
    • Luke is a most excellent cuddler. He just hangs out and is incredibly laid back. Best movie-watching companion, for sure.
    • I once read toddlers laugh something like 1,342 times a day, and Luke has convinced me that statistic is absolutely true. Nothing beats his cheeks chubbing up, his eyes going squinty and his high-pitched giggle with its roots in his belly. His laugh is truly infectious.

I know there are so many more things which happen in fleeting moments, but these are some of my most-loved thoughts when I think of my little Lukey. He is SUCH an immense joy in our lives and I look forward to every day where I wake up to see that bright face smiling. 

Happy 3rd Birthday, Luke! This year is going to be a sensational one with you in one hand and Wes in the other. Thanks for making me a mama. I love you, Nugget.

Image Map

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At January 15, 2015 at 5:58 AM , Blogger Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

This is so special - my little girl will be 3 in April and so many of Luke's little quirks remind me of her - she says and does the same things! x

 
At January 15, 2015 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

so adorable!! these photos are just too cute!!

http://amoderngypsy.blogspot.com

 
At January 16, 2015 at 12:28 PM , Blogger dylcia said...

What a great post! His face as he is opening his gifts is priceless. This gets me super excited for the arrival of our first baby boy in April :)

 
At January 18, 2015 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Kelly Ann said...

This is so sweet! I have twin little boys who are almost one + this makes me so excited for them to get into the stage Luke is in, with all the sweet saying + little quirks. Happy belated birthday, little Luke!

 
At January 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This age is just the sweetest! Although, I find myself saying that about every stage :)

 
At January 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Rhiannon! xo

 
At January 18, 2015 at 9:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love his face too :) And I am so excited for your little arrival. Baby will be here before you know it! Hope you are having a good pregnancy! :)

 
At January 18, 2015 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky you! Twins sound so fun and I can only imagine how adorable it will be to have both of them talking and doing silly things. It really is double the fun! :)

 
At January 20, 2015 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Bekka said...

You nailed that cake! Big applause! I love it! And Luke is growing up to be the handsomest in all the land.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home