<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Faux Dreadlocks

11.14.2012

Faux Dreadlocks

Jacket: TJMaxx (similar). Fur Scarf: Target. Shirt: Matt's (H&M). Leggings: LOFT. Socks: Target. Boots: Boutique (similar). Bracelets: H&M, Flashbacks.

I give two big, enthusiastic thumbs up to dreadlocks. This isn't the first time professing my love for rat's nest, mangled hair, and it isn't about to be the last. I could never commit to a hair doozie requiring me to shave my head at the end of it, because I am painfully fickle and I would have a shaved head faster than you can say Miley Cyrus.

Enter not washing my hair (inspired by this genius piece of work) and purposely braiding and ratting selective locks of hair. I call them faux dreadlocks; a fabulous, mother-friendly alternative to the real McCoy. 

Now the next question is if I should do this to my hair (I know, there are no words). I only hesitate because for the first time in my life since I was 13, my hair remains untouched and in its au natural glory. The thought of coloring and/or bleaching it sounds so hip and thrilling, but all that hard work put into maintaining my heaven-sent hair color for the last 2+ years will just go down the drain. And if I bleach it, then what will I be tempted to do to it next? Before I know it I will turn gray and never again be able to just wear my natural hair color and compelled to resort to warm under-tone substitute hair colors that don't have quite enough ash tone in it no matter how hard I try. You see? It actually is a really big deal.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. Hello, exit cue. 

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At November 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Elisha said...

You look so gorgeous! And I want those boots!!

 
At November 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

she looks so cool with that hair. i don't know what to say though as it is a commitment. and i am naturally a hair wimp and have never done anything exciting to my hair so don't feel i can give any advice.

 
At November 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Shawna Faye said...

You look like a total bad-a** babe in these pics!
I want dreads so bad! No really. This past summer I even researched how to do it. But unfortunately my hair is fine, limp, straight, and flat and hence, not at all conducive to dreading. And I've never dyed my hair either. Basically my hair is G-rated.

 
At November 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Laura said...

I am in the same boat as you, I have dyed my hair since I was 13 and just about a year and a half ago I went to my natural color (light brown, from bleach blonde) it was quite a process and now my hair is finally very long, and it is my actual natural color (except the very ends which are a hybrid of a "fake-brown-over-bleach-trying-to-be-my-natural-color-but-still-not-quite-right-lil-too-redish" but thank heavens ombre is in haha! BUT it took so long to be able to have this that I feel like I can NEVER dye my hair again because it is so hard to get back to this. Plus my hair is healthier for it, and it is way cheaper this way (no box dyes for this chick oh heck no) and I also sorta believe there is something about whatever color we are born with is prob the color that looks best with our skin coloring, eyes etc. So whenever I get tempted I remind myself of these things, esp the one that this natural hair color is prob the one that will look best on me in the end and it is free... and trust me I am not a hippy chick haha, I tease this hair and product crazy it, not all natural style haha!

 
At November 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Megan Hatch said...

I am intrigued by this not washing my hair stuff... hmmmm.

 
At November 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Viola said...

Beautiful look!!!

caughtinvogue.blogspot.com
xx Viola

 
At November 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Gentri said...

I love that your hair is all natural! It's gorgeous, don't touch it. :)

 
At November 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM , Blogger Kira said...

I love your hair in these photos. What a great idea. Was it hard to comb after doing the faux dreadlock thing? Lots of conditioner?

 
At November 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Lischen said...

I love this look so much!! :)

xx

 
At November 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM , Anonymous Essence Brown said...

This post made me laugh. But here is some inspiration and a story =]

My sophomore year in college I met a girl in a Zumba class and we quickly became friends. Kassie is very outgoing and a bit preppy. But when we first met she had dreads. Sorta, she had maybe 10 dreads that were underneath all her hair. When her hair was down you couldn't see them much, but when her hair was up you could. She was going through a Christian Hippy stage. But she, like yourself, did want to commit dreads and she didn't want to keep redo-ing them every few days. So she took to youtube and found a solution.

She created temporary dreadlocks.
So I am passing along the tutorials she was inspired by ;)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Install-Synthetic-Double-Ended-Dreads/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+install+synthetic+dreads&oq=How+to+Install+Synthetic+Dreads&gs_l=youtube-reduced.1.0.0.37029.44403.0.45772.2.2.0.0.0.0.54.102.2.2.0...0.0...1ac.2.ELiPDnaS0p0

Ps. Kassie had gorgeous long blone hair and added long blonde dreads. Not the crazy Gothic colors you'll see in the videos.
I hope this gets your creative juices flowing ;)

 
At November 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM , Blogger The Mrs. and The Momma said...

Keep it that way! I don't even know my actual hair color! Ha!

The Mrs. and The Momma

 
At November 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Schoenstars said...

I've had really long, beautiful, shiny hair my entire life...until last year...when I decided to go all rasta and dread out. I've now got a full head of knotty, nappy, locks and I love love LOVE them!!!! I do miss my "pretty" hair sometimes, but I can't imagine not having my head of "snakes," as my daughter refers to them. I'd wanted dreads forever but I was always in a situation where they weren't really appropriate ie. a student at BYU, an employee at BYU...mostly all things BYU related. Now that I have them, I can't imagine life without them! And contrary to popular belief, they're actually a lot of work to maintain. And since I don't want a real rat nesting in there, or any other insects or creepy crawlies squirming their way into my scalp, I take my hair care routine extremely seriously! They really are quite a bit of work but SOOOO worth it!!!! Though...I do miss my pretty hair...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home