<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : 5 Favorite Postpartum Yoga Poses For Moms

11.13.2014

5 Favorite Postpartum Yoga Poses For Moms



Boden Run Faster Sweastshirt c/o
Boden Run Faster Sports Top c/o
Boden Run Faster Cropped Leggings c/o

Yoga is my go-to fitness routine. As a mom I need a one-stop shop to recharge physically and emotionally, and I like the whole mind/body/spirit thing which occurs in yoga practice. My technique certainly isn't perfect, but I like the growth and well-being yoga provides. So, I thought I would share with you my five favorite postpartum yoga poses for moms! They are wonderful beginner poses, and are great for building a foundation for more advanced positions.

Below I have included a list of my favorite poses with a link to how to properly do them, the reason I love them, and their benefits.


Child's Pose. This is the most basic of basic beginners poses, but it feels so good in stretching out the lower back and hips! Specifically after joints and ligaments have been stretched. It is also calms the brain and relieves stress. Yes, please!



Pigeon Pose. My hips get incredibly tight when I am pregnant and while my postpartum body is recovering for the first few months to a year. This pose is amazing for opening up the hip flexors and lengthening everything out. I feel like a new woman after spending a good minute or two relaxing into the pigeon pose.



Supported Shoulderstand. Okay, so I used to do this ALL THE TIME when I was a little girl. Seriously, I am pretty sure I started doing it when I was five while rolling around on the floor and watching Sleeping Beauty. (Not much has changed because I still do it and we just bought Sleeping Beauty.) The first time I heard of it as a legitimate yoga pose at the studio, I almost blurted out, "This is MY move!" in the middle of everyone's heat-induced trance. (For the record, hot yoga is the bomb.) Anyway, the supported shouldserstand is amazing for stretching the neck and shoulders, reduces fatigue, and tones the legs and saggy mom butt ;)




Plow Pose. This is a good one to transition into from the supported shoulder pose. It opens up the back, neck and shoulders, which is essential for we moms who spend hours slumped over feeding our babies! It also aids in digestion and detoxifying. I felt the benefits of it specifically after having c-section, because it took awhile to kickstart my pipes and get them working properly.



Tripod Headstand. I like to do the modified pose of this, which is the tripod headstand with the elbows on knees. The challenge of finding balance and attempting the headstand is fun, and I like the rush of blood to my head. It is said to be beneficial in relieving mild depression, stress and stimulating the pinal and pituitary glands. I need all of the above, because I have hypothyroidism and have dealt with the depression on and off throughout the years. I also feel like it always clears up my sinuses? That's just me, but it's worth a shot if you have a cold and stuffy nose you can't quite kick. Ain't nobody got time to be sick! (Especially if you're a mom!)

Can we talk about my outfit for a quick sec, too? Boden has a new activewear line, and any devoted fan of Boden knows they are famous for smart patterns and bright colors. Naturally, their activewear line incorporates those aspects. I am a big fan of the colors and fun patterns they chose. The clothes fit well, and are fantastic at shaping and pulling in all my extra flab and skin.



My only complaint is that these red athletic leggings in particular are a bit sheer. You have to wear a thong if you don't want your panties showing. If you like wearing thongs while working out, then there is no issue, but if you prefer comfy granny panties (like me) while working up a sweat, then the darker colors will be your best bet. The jacket and tank are amazing, though. Their fit is the best out of all of the athletic tanks and jackets I own. And the details are what make it. (Neon zipper and stitching for the win!) Overall, I am really excited about the new Boden activewear line and can't wait to see it expand! Be sure to take a look at it here and use the code 'YOGA' for 20% off and free shipping for your activewear purchase through Saturday, November 15!



I hope you will try out these yoga poses. Yoga is a great beginning step to being more active. (Take it from me.) I hope it can inspire you to live a more active and healthy life, even if you aren't a fitness nut. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions and have fun!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 14, 2014 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Sierra said...

All of these poses are the best and I love Yoga! Thanks for sharing.

 
At November 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yoga is the best! Thanks for reading :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home