<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Yours, Mine And Ours

5.01.2013

Yours, Mine And Ours


1) Hands: Matt, 27; Abbey, 25; Luke, 15 months
2) Feet: Matt, 27; Abbey, 25; Luke, 15 months
3) Eyes: Matt, 27; Abbey, 25; Luke, 15 months

Learning to love my natural self has always been a fight. A battle in my mind of what is "beautiful" and "desirable" in the materialistic standards of the world, versus embracing the body that allows me to fully experience the joys and true beauty that same world offers. Being a part of the blogging culture comes with a lot of digital enhancement, tweaking, and erasing flaws. But how does that help? I like to witness that other women out there are happily living in their imperfections and welcoming them with open arms. I don't want to be afraid of judgments anymore, I just want to fully love myself. Unpainted toenails and all (which is a weird insecurity I've had all my life -- my toenails being unpainted and bare). 

I can tell you the exact shape, tone, and look of every part of Luke. Call it the mother's memory. And that sweet, tiny body of his is perfect. At what point do we go from appreciating this precious gift and start critiquing it and demanding it's not good enough? Don't get me wrong, I don't like body hair, pimples, wrinkles and any other funky thing that happens to the aging body (and obviously I like makeup and all that crazy stuff), but it is part of being human. We don't need to be freakishly and perfectly glossy and preened with a certain body fat percentage to be exquisite and loving of ourselves. 

Hence, I give you the hands, feet, and faces of the ones I love, myself included, even though it scares me a little to put these out there for the world to see. Unedited (minus a few exposure and lighting adjustment to give the best view of the photos), no cosmetics (although those are the remnants of some lash extension -- no, my lashes are not that long naturally! I wish!), and raw -- just the way God made us. And you know what? I think they are beautiful.

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At May 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post.

 
At May 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Again, I love this post. Amazing photos.
I completely agree. It's weird that we start critiquing ourselves. I think for girls, it's definitely around 5th grade or so. Maybe even younger, with other girls being prettier or more popular or having more things you don't. It's hard.
I also know what you mean about knowing every bit of your baby. I love every single piece of my Emma. I am obsessed with her feet! LOL

 
At May 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Bethany said...

I have a big forehead, big teeth, small lips, thick ankles, thin hair, small breasts, birthing hips, ugly knees, a pointy chin, and flawed skin from breakouts, and crows feet from aging. I am not perfect. And that's okay. I too have been learning to deal with my insecurities. I have never felt beautiful, ever. I was teased so much in school for being too skinny, and whatever else people could find wrong with me. As I approach 30, I realize the way I look is how God created me. That is a blessing in itself. My husband tells me I'm beautiful, and he is the only one I care about feeling that way. Anyone else's opinion of my appearance is mere pettiness and unimportant. I really don't know how to edit photos for my blog, very well. But most of the time, when I am doing a post, I skip editing because of how long it takes. I guess i just don't care anymore about perfection and how the world thinks I am supposed to look. My heart is with yours. I understand these feelings. -Bethany

 
At May 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is a truly beautiful and honest post. I know that there are little things about myself that I am uncomfortable but I believe that I am starting to become happier with myself.

http://allthatglitters.co.nr

 
At May 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM , Blogger The Egg said...

this is awesome. plain and simple!

xo the egg out west.

 
At May 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Jenna DeSantis said...

Aww, so cute Abbey! What a beautiful family :-) Happy Week girl!

XO Jenna
Demureindiamonds.com

 
At May 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a cute and honest post! I love it. What a beautiful family.

realdailyliving.blogspot.com

 
At May 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Emma Frances said...

I love this post. You are all beautiful!

 
At May 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Stefani said...

So, I just found your blog and I swear...I just posted about (almost) the same thing today. I love this! I love love love the pictures. I think the raw, unedited beauty is often the best kind. :-)

-Stefani
Miss Jo and Co.

 
At May 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Fairbanks and I said...

Absolutely beautiful - you and your family just as much as the blog post.

 
At May 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Brittany LeSueur said...

Love this post! And seriously not listening to the world in terms of beauty! But seriously...you are flawless! Beautiful photos!

 
At May 1, 2013 at 7:46 PM , Blogger Alison Ambrose said...

I just found your blog today, and what a great post to begin with! Loved the honesty of it. Kinda reminds me of the new Dove campaign with the sketch artist that shows just how warped our perceptions of ourselves are. I've always struggled with truly loving the face on the other side of the mirror, but love that you're rising above all of that and embracing your true self.

Can't wait to continue reading your posts! Thank you.
--Alison, http://eternalblackink.blogspot.com/

 
At May 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM , Blogger p S h A o R t A o said...

First thought that came to mind: beautiful. I'm on the same page as you, it's hard to love our natural selves. We just have to learn to embrace what other people see. You may or may not have seen the newest Dove's commercial. If not, I suggest you check it out! I found it really sweet

 
At May 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM , Anonymous Kate said...

I love this. Beautiful photos, beautiful words. xoxo

Kate.
www.stylesmaller.com

 
At May 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful post. I love that you posted these. We should all be brave enough to post pictures of ourself, even the parts we don't like (like our feet). Thanks so much for sharing.

 
At May 2, 2013 at 4:13 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

I think these pictures are beautiful as well....love these posts that you do. I have to admit that those cute, chubby little baby hands are my favorite. :-)

 
At May 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Jewels said...

You are absolutely stunning without makeup! You should not be embarrassed to publish those pictures

 
At May 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously am in love with this series! I think you should make it a link up of some kind. I want to join!

 
At May 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful post, thank you~~

 
At May 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Kathleen Harper said...

Great post! Oh so cute :) You have a beautiful family!
<3
katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

 
At May 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a sweet post. I totally know what you mean about knowing every part of your child. I know my son inside and out.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

 
At May 9, 2013 at 5:11 AM , Blogger Anna Demko said...

You are right! So many times we try too hard to be the beautiful version of ourselves according to someone's standards!
Great post!

happymedley.blogpsot.com

 
At May 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

I LOVE this post!!

 
At July 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I love this post! You are all beautiful! I've never liked having photos taken of me. I've always believed I'm not photogenic, but lately I've been wanting to shove my hubby's camera in his hands and say "Take pictures of me! Make them candid, let me pose. Whatever! Just please do NOT photoshop me after."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home