<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : On Becoming A Frumpy Mom

6.07.2012

On Becoming A Frumpy Mom

Tee: LOFT. Shorts: LOFT (long skinnies cutoff by me). Bag: H&M. Sandals: Vintage.
Being at this post-baby point is honestly frustrating for me. I feel like I'm stuck in a funk. I am not always perfectly styled, nor do I want to be. Some days, it's even been a struggle for me to get out of bed. My thyroid and hormones are all crazy, and in the past I struggled with depression, leaving me prone to bouts of postpartum.  Learning to deal with my body in the stretched out, widened state on top of that has left me feeling less than enthusiastic when getting dressed every day. Mixing all of that together, it's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster. 

Long ago in my late teen years and early twenties, I would size mothers up and down and wonder why the frumpy ones turned, well, frumpy.

Was it really that hard to do your hair? What about that extra 10 lbs? Surely it couldn't be that difficult to drop. And what is with the mom jeans and t-shirt uniform? It's not doing you any favors.

Fast-forward 6 years... I might possibly be on my way to Frumpy Momdom.

For starters, I wish I could travel back in time and punch that Abbey square in the jaw. Second, I have learned that being a mom is challenging in its own unique way. Each mom has their own set of personal struggles and they deal with it the best way they know how.

So what if I wear the mom uniform. Jeans and a tee are really a comfy combo and it's better than wearing pajamas or sweats all day, which is super tempting, believe you me. Mom jeans are mom jeans because those baby-making hips and pouch need to go somewhere, and they certainly ain't fitting into skinny jeans like they used to. Don't get me wrong, skinny jeans can still be cute, but it's okay to accept the fact that your body has changed. Also, it's a practical everyday look when you are being spit up on at least 2 times a day. Luckily, prints and stripes are on trend right now so it can actually be a styled, laid-back look when adding a little belt or some fun bracelets. Thank goodness.

I feel like I am sounding like a hypocrite, because I obviously still do try to wear cute outfits a few times a week. I think it is important for me personally, because I am prone to being that lazy person wearing my sweats like it's my job (Nike, would you like to hire me?) This blog is a way for me, especially now, to get motivated to find the beauty in things whether it be clothes, decor, or just my general surroundings.

There is a life long learning curve with motherhood. Don't be afraid to embrace it, especially those ugly and strange times you are working to find yourself again. In the end they become the best as you approach the silver lining.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At June 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Always Maylee said...

Abbey, I think you are just fine. I'm not a mom yet, but I can imagine what it must be like. You know what, you can still look cute and be comfy/lazy at the same time. It's all about the attitude! :)

xo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee

 
At June 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

you look adorable! and who cares if you are on your way to "frumpy momdom" you make it look good! :)

www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

 
At June 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Elisha said...

you are beautiful!! ALWAYS(:

x.

 
At June 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM , Blogger The Mrs. and The Momma said...

Well put. This entire post sums up why I started the personal style part of my blog.

And I know how frumpy feels...and maybe even looks, but you my friend, are not that. :)

 
At June 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM , Blogger Kira said...

I don't think there is any way you could ever be frumpy. Also, I like your hair parted in the middle, makes me want to try it.

 
At June 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

It's clear that you've grown a lot since your days of judging mom jeans. From the looks of things, you are doing your absolute best with everything. You are beautiful, inside and out!
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At June 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you always look so beautiful and all your outfits are cute and fun- definitely not frumpy! Stay beautiful ♥

 
At June 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

I'm not yet a mom, but I still appreciate what you say in this post...I think your last paragraph can be applied to life all around, not just motherhood. The whole post resonates with me now, but I also feel like it is foreshadowing my life when I do become a mom someday. So thank you in advance for these words of wisdom :)

 
At June 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM , Blogger Joke said...

I loved this post and will remember it for when I become a mom. For the record, I think you always look awesome!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

what a lovely post i feel like this would just happen to every mom especially for the first time moms where you're experiencing this for the first time in your life and it's hard to learn to deal with it, always love reading your posts!

City Style

 
At June 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Jan said...

I'm not a mommy yet but I get what you mean. Sometimes I catch myself wondering why some moms would let themselves go. My friends would tell me its because of the genes or because they have to many things to do than worry about themselves. Then I would feel bad. I really think there are more things about being a mom non-moms don't understand. But thanks for this post that attested to my thought. And you don't look frumpy by the way. :)

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

 
At June 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Shay said...

I hear you, girl. I really wish I could go tell myself pre-baby not to be so judgemental. I had my son 8 weeks ago and a lot of what you wrote resognates with me. You are beautiful!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

Girl, you are far from frumpy. Sure, us moms all have those "sweatpant days"...but how much better do you feel when you get dressed up all cute? I know it helps my overall attitude. That's one of the major reasons I started my blog, cause after having two kids I was getting waaaaay too frumpy...and having a blog gives me that little push I need :)
Modern Modest Beauty

 
At June 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Britt { Magpie Collective } said...

AMEN to Maylee! You look amazing. Bodies are supposed to change, and supposed to make room for baby. You've made room in your body, room in your life, and now room in your closet for baby!

You are FAR from being a frumpy mom. Jeans and tees can be dressed up or down, so count yourself in that you haven't completely crossed over to the dark side :)


Britt
The Secondhand Magpie
thesecondhandmagpie.blogspot.com

 
At June 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Tori Baldridge said...

You are the LEAST frumpy mommy I have ever seen!!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Jessica @ Little Maple Leaf said...

Hi Abbey :)
I'm so glad you posted this and are so honest!
Sometimes when I read Mommy Blogs, I just feel weird when they make it seem like being a new mama is a breeze. I've never been pregnant, but I can't imagine "post having baby" being that easy, ya know?!

I'm so glad I found your blog, it's very interesting.

-Jessica
www.cinnamonandspiceblog.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home