<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Our Trip To San Francisco (Part 2)

5.18.2015

Our Trip To San Francisco (Part 2)

The second act of our San Francisco trip started at Fisherman's Wharf.  (See part one of our trip here.) We strolled along the waterfront, bought some gifts and ate clam chowder after we were harassed by at least five fish guys.



 I insisted upon visiting the Musée Méchanique to have my Julie Andrews moment à la The Princess Diaries. Worth it.

Since we were in the neighborhood, it was imperative we stop in for a sundae at Ghirardelli Square. Holy hannah was that thing good! Chocolate lined the walls of the store, AKA Abbey heaven.

A cable car ride later we found ourselves at an intensely large set of stairs, which led their way up to Coit Tower.




One of the things I was most excited to see in San Francisco was all of the artwork all over the city. This was a mural inside Coit Tower painted by Maxine Albro, a student of Diego Rivera. Very cool to see the detail and magnitude of the work in person.

Alcatraz! Clint Eastwood, where you at?



The views from the top of Coit Tower were equally breathtaking and panic-inducing. My fear of heights, er, my fear of falling is very real, so I made sure to stay at least one foot from the open windows. (Look at that dude hanging out in the picture above! Yikesabee!) It stands 210 feet tall and the elevator ride is exactly what I imagine the real life version of Tower of Terror at Disneyland would feel like.


Afterward we walked back down Upper Grant. I've decided North Beach is my favorite neighborhood. The shops and houses and everything were bright, beautiful and quirky. (I am 99% sure this area is part of North Beach, but please correct me if I am mistaken!)

Isn't the pink exterior of Music 101 fabulous? Wish I would have had more time to wander around the store.


We had to make a pitstop at the Roman Catholic Archbishop. The building and architecture is incredible, and it was amazing to step inside and take sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of the streets outside.




We saw the Transamerica Pyramid and Columbus Tower. Again, more amazing architecture. City Light Bookstore was one of my favorite shops I popped into. It has major roots in the Beat generation and my heart nearly exploded when I read the "about" section on their website. "City Lights has been the head, heart, and undersoul of literary San Francisco for half a century, and—as the Gotham Book Mart in Manhattan long ago proclaimed about itself — 'Wise Men Fish Here'.” YOU GUYS, last month's book selection was Just Kids by Patti Smith (which I will be discussing in great length on Wednesay—stay tuned!), and she worked at Gotham Book Mart during that era. Their motto "Wise Men Fish Here" jumped out at me and I furiously scribbled it down in my journal when I first read it. So, you can imagine the elation I felt randomly stumbling upon City Light Bookstore. I just finished The Alchemist and can't help but feel like the universe led me there. It's the Language of the World in action! Chills. Also, how cute is that couple in front of the store?



Our next stop was to visit The Pink Ladies in Alamo Square, and spy on Uncle Jesse. I think I may have even spotted DJ Tanner and Kimmy Gibbler in their matching scrunchies. We then had dinner around the block at 4505 Burgers & BBQ. Matt said it was the best burger of HIS LIFE. Now, please understand this is a man who knows his burgers. I suggest you add this place to your food list. It was delicious.




Because I suffer greatly from FOMO, our day was still not over! We drove to the Mission District to visit Clarion Alley.



Finally, we ended our Saturday at the 16th Ave Tiled Steps. They are kind of funky and create an optical illusion that you are going down even though you are at the bottom. At least it looks that way in the picture. And might I say it was a wonderful place to end our journey that day. There was so much art and beauty everywhere!



Sunday morning we drove over Golden Gate and had breakfast at the Sausalito Bakery & Cafe. They have the biggest, chewiest chocolate chip cookies in all of California. The view of the city wasn't bad either. ;)





After wasting an hour debating if we had time to make it out to Muir Woods, we caught the shuttle bus. Honestly, San Francisco reminds me of the PNW in a lot of ways and hiking out in the Muir Woods brought a wave of nostalgia. Nature has a way of nourishing the spirit and it was a wonderful way to end our anniversary weekend.

San Francisco, you sure were grand. Until we meet again! (And cruffin, I am coming for you!)

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At May 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Roots Out West said...

"Bohemian Grove", love it! Great post of all of your pictures. I especially love those graffiti walls.

 
At May 19, 2015 at 2:31 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

It looks like so much fun! I so want to go there one day. Thank you for sharing all of your gorgeous pictures.
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At May 19, 2015 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Kelly Jane said...

I love, love, love Muir Woods. And the shuttle is so the way to go... :)

 
At May 19, 2015 at 7:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great pictures and I love how you captured my city!
Sam @ thehipkidblog.com

 
At May 19, 2015 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Tabitha said...

Absolutely love your photos, makes me want to visit San Francisco right now :)
http://www.lovetabitha.com

 
At May 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much! The walls in Clarion Alley were amazing.

 
At May 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You must go if you can! So much beauty! xo

 
At May 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It felt so good to just wander around in nature! That place is definitely magical. And yes, we would have been stuck in our car looking for a parking spot had we not hopped on the shuttle!

 
At May 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Sam! You are lucky you live there!

 
At May 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, you absolutely have to go! xo

 
At May 20, 2015 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

this looks like so much fun - we love san fran! and that picture of you on the steps is the cutest!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home