<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : 6 Clothing Staples Every Breastfeeding Mom Needs

8.15.2014

6 Clothing Staples Every Breastfeeding Mom Needs


Madewell Perfect Chambray Shirt
LOFT Plaid Shirtdress
Nursing Micro Wire-Free Bra
Washable Nursing Pads
Anthropologie Essential Scoopneck
Topshop Fine Gauge Midi Cardigan

I am at that stage in life where all of my social media feeds are jammed with pregnancy announcements, bump photos, and all things baby — myself included! (Except for the whole bump/being prego thing.) Along with all of this babypalooza, there are lots and lots of breastfeeding things going on, too. In light of the fact that it is National Breastfeeding Month, and that there is a huge movement to stop censoring breastfeeding in the public eye and to quit villainizing we mamas who choose to do so, I thought I would share the six clothing staples every breastfeeding mom needs in her wardrobe!

1. The button-up shirt. This is a breastfeeding mom's best friend for quite obvious reasons. And I will forever and always be a sucker (see what I did there?) for a relaxed fitting chambray shirt. You just can't go wrong with it.

2. The button-up shirtdress. Clearly an extension of the aforementioned shirt, but in a dress! High fives all around!

3. A wireless nursing bra. Nursing bras are great. They are more than great. They are fantastic creations that make breastfeeding so much easier. Although, lately I have been slacking and doing the ole' pull up everything because I am small-chested and can do such a thing. However, I hear this doesn't work so well for the big-bosomed, so a supportive nursing bra makes all the difference. I for one am partial to wireless bras because they are ten million times more comfortable.

4. Washable nursing pads. As Shakira said, "lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so you don't confuse them with mountains." I like to think she was talking about me, because ain't nobody confusing my goods with mountains, however they do have quite a lot in common with waterfalls, because these feeding machines spout out milk like friggin' Niagra Falls. At least in the beginning. Nursing pads were my saving grace so I wasn't THAT mom going out in public with wet nipple spots on my shirt.

5. The slouchy tee. Ahhh, this is a good one. Nice and slouchy enough so that baby can fit comfortably under the shirt like a tent. I for one hate nursing covers, and my kids tend to sweat profusely when nursing, so this works as an alternative option.

6. A draping midi cardigan. This is a clothing essential for breastfeeding moms for two reasons. A) It makes for an easy cover up should you feel the need to cover up while nursing and B) the midi length covers the hips and extra postpartum lumps and bumps, and gives a more slimming look. I live in these cardigans during the fall, and I think every woman needs one, mom or not!

Breastfeeding is such a wonderful thing, and I am incredibly grateful my body has been able to produce and feed both of my babies. Although I have had my struggles with breastfeeding, I feel proud to be a woman, and continually astonished and amazed that my body possesses the ability to create human life and sustain it. I am not ashamed of it, and believe that we women should continue to stand up for our rights to feed our babies wherever and whenever we feel. The sexualization of breastfeeding simply needs to stop. It is one of the most beautiful and natural acts of motherhood in the world, so let's continue to proudly feed our babies and enjoy this month celebrating that very thing! Power to the boobies, and milk on, mamas!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At August 15, 2014 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes yes to all of these! i have to say, i think i was super prepared for most post-baby stuff, but the breastfeeding friendly attire was something i'd hardly even thought about! these are perfect suggestions, for sure :)

 
At August 15, 2014 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Erin @ Love, the Campbells said...

I love this post! Those wireless bras seem like a dream. I have three nursing bras all wired ones and seeing as my boobies haven't not had a bra on since I have birth six months ago it would be so nice to snag a few of these non wired ones! Isn't it incredible what the body can do? God really is amazing that he can make women's bodies to create and sustain such beautiful little people. Amen to Breastfeeding month! Thanks for the great suggestions sweet friend!!

 
At August 15, 2014 at 7:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just got the washable breast pads. What a fabulous idea. Thanks for the awesome list for us new clueless mothers to be :)

Nightchayde

 
At August 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So timely! I'm due in 6 weeks!

 
At August 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I totally agree! There are so many unknowns with breastfeeding, and little things like this make a huge difference! :)

 
At August 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

First and foremost, I applaud you for not wearing a bra for six months. I hate them and try not to wear them when at all possible, but the wireless is the trick for those, "ah, do I have to?" moments. ;)

 
At August 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You are welcome! I am so excited for you! :)

 
At August 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray! I am so incredibly excited for you, and sending good vibes your way!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home