<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Hypnobirthing

8.26.2013

Hypnobirthing

The day Luke was born. I was a puffy, bedraggled mess, and it hurt like the dickens!

If there is one thing I learned from bringing Luke into this world, it's the necessity to stay calm and tranquil.

Which I most definitely was not.

You can read the whole birth story here, since I am not going to rehash every detail of it, but honestly? Luke's birth challenged me, and I didn't 100% love it or find it to be one of those cosmic, serene, beautiful life experiences that childbirth is chalked up to be. And it kind of pangs my heart with guilt since it wasn't all that and a bag of chips. Because of other past health issues in my life, I've spent a sweet chunk of time in hospitals and have developed a subconscious anxiety in association with being hooked to machines and hearing the methodical "beep-beep-beep" of heart monitors. That's not a good combination when going through a very long and intense labor. 

Would I do it again? Umm, yeah... obviously. All of the panic attacks and hurling and epidurals going all wonky are absolutely worth the joy of holding that precious bundle straight from heaven in your arms. But, now that I somewhat know what to expect, I've finally realized this next delivery doesn't have to be that way. And gosh darnit! I am ready to take it on this time around.

Enter hypnobirthing.

Being the over-analyzer that I am (especially when pregnant), any words resembling that of "hypnosis" and the like generally freak me out. Turning my brain over to my subconscious psyche? Probably not the best idea for this crazy ole' bird. 

Or so I thought.

For 2 months now, I've been listening to the Rainbow Relaxation HypnoBirthing tracks. I like to listen to them during my daily nap (if I'm lucky enough to get one) or at night as I drift off to sleep. And you know what? They actually work (by George, I think she's got it! . . . name that movie)! I am now to the point where I can recite the affirmations and words in my mind along with the narrator, and my body instantly kicks into a mode of deep relaxation and focus. So much so that I usually fall asleep in the first 10 minutes, although I highly doubt that will happen the day my uterus says howdy-hey and intensely contracts and dilates. Has that ever even happened? A woman sleeping through the birth of her own child, unmedicated?

Anyway, I still have a little under 3 months to go, but I feel 100 times more confident and comfortable with my body's ability to bring this baby boy into the world using the hypnobirthing approach I've learned so far. 

I know I haven't talked a lot about Baby Numero Dos on the blog a lot, but we are beyond thrilled to meet him. I can feel the uniqueness of his character and spirit as he grows under my heart, and I've  a strong impression this one's gonna be a good egg as well. How I got so lucky, I don't know, but I sure do count my blessings for his life that God is entrusting me with. We love you, little man!

So, how about you mamas? Anyone gone down the hypnobirthing route? What are your tried and true birthing and relaxation techniques that I should know about? Share the love! I'd love to read up and try out some more!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At August 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Jessica Holly said...

ooo I may have to try this for baby #2!! I'm sorry your first experience was a bad one :(

 
At August 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Tisse said...

I practiced hypnobirthing when I was pregnant with Navi and I feel like it really helped me a ton during my labor. My midwives told me that I progressed much quicker than most first time births because I stayed so calm throughout the laboring process so I highly recommend it. As for the falling asleep part I did in fact fall asleep multiple times towards the end of my labor. I had a homebirth (so obviously it was unmedicated) and spent the last bit of the labor and birth in a giant tub of warm water. In those last few hours I was so completely exhausted and I don't remember doing so but after Navi was born my midwives and Chris said that I would fall asleep and wake up every few minutes when contractions would come. Crazy stuff!

 
At August 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Jakeandjess said...

We didn't go the hypnobirthing route but we did do a natural birth at home. NOT watching the clock was a biggie for me, low lights and I listened to my body instead of agonizing over the time, etc. we had a great experience and its so great to know you are listening to yourself and making changes as needed. Your body and baby will appreciate it!

 
At August 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Hannah Avery said...

I don't have any experience hypnobirthing, but I have had two all natural home births, with relatively short labors (first was around 7 hours, second was about 4 hours). Before my second birth, I read the book, "Guide to Natural Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin. I HIGHLY recommend that book to every childbirthing woman. It helped me so much mentally prepare for the birth, and when I was in labor, I really didn't look at the clock, I just got ready, understood what was happening in my body, and just did what I knew I had to do to handle it. In my case it was pacing the floor, and leaning against the counter and swaying during contractions. I was going to birth in a tub, but didn't feel like getting in, and ended up having the baby leaning against the counter. Hope you have a great birth!

-Hannah

 
At August 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no experience in hypnobirthing, but I've heard good things about it. I wish all the best during your labor and delivery. I got lucky (or did I?) in that I never got to experience labor with my daughter. Not one bit. I needed a c-section because she was breech and after scheduling it she decided to come a week earlier than the week early she was supposed to come because my water broke. But, it was strange because even though I experienced the gushing water (and boy does it ever gush!) I never felt any contractions while I managed to dilate to 5cm as they prepped me for surgery. A part of me feels gipped that I missed out on the whole experience. I had a midwife and high hopes and dreams to take the natural childbirth path, and while I had a really good pregnancy, a lot of my hopes and dreams about having a baby were crushed by a few important circumstances.
So, again, I wish you all the best! And I hope it's everything you wanted for a birth and more :)

 
At August 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Offer KINDNESS. Choose GENEROSITY. Give LOVE! said...

Ohhhh do I ever share your thoughts on pain and 'not loving' labour!
I'd never heard of hypnobirthing, and probably won't rush out to try it but it sounds wonderful. I may do some reading on it.
We are due a few weeks after you and I'm scared to death of labour again.
I basically just want it over with so we can hold our wee blessing.
Good luck, thanks for the read and relaxation reminder! The reward is so worth the pain and crazy hard work!

 
At August 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM , Anonymous Anna @ IHOD said...

I have heard a lot of good things about hypnobirthing Abbey! I am looking forward to hearing your experience on it. I didn't have time to do anything but walk into the hospital room and my waterbirth goal went out the door, but I can definately vouch for the fact that calm and peace helped so much with the pain.
Thinking of you!

 
At August 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

i'm planning a home birth for my daughter this december! so nice to hear of someone else's great experience! i'm so nervous since i had an epidural last time and didn't feel a thing!

 
At August 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

pregnancy is so beautiful. I look forward to that time so much. And I would love to do hypnobirthing as well. You are gorgeous, keep on bein you!

 
At August 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Jessica @ Here&Now said...

Very cool - I am definitely not in the baby making & birthing place in my life yet, but I like hearing about your process of making your body ready to bring a human in to the world! What a miracle!

xx
Here&Now
Enter to win my current giveaway !

 
At September 2, 2013 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't do hipnobirthing technically but I did read and prepare meditations, breathing and relaxing affirmations to help with my natural non-medicated birth at the birth center. I wouldn't have been able to do it without preparation. And yes! I did sleep through contractions. Not during them, but in between. It is possible to stay calm and enjoy your birthing experience. Just the fact that you are more aware this time will help A TON!. So happy for you and can't wait to hear how well you do. xo

Lindsay

deerlindsay.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home