<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : I Doth Confess

7.30.2013

I Doth Confess


Folks, I have a confession... or twenty. Lately, my mind has honed in on that silly, nonsensical quest for perfection as a mom, wife, friend, person... whatever! Basically any and all facets of my life that define me and how I am somehow or another not meeting the criteria. 

So, I thought to myself, what better way to get out all of these frustrated feelings of inadequacy than to blast them out into the blogosphere? Because that's what any self-respecting mommy blogger would do, right? Right!

But seriously. I figure if I get these poopsy-moopsy feelings, certainly some of you get these doggone mama blues, too! Consider this my official pledge that I am not perfect, nor do I need to be, or do I intend to be.

Here it goes (and a big round of applause to Lauren for inspiring this confessional)...

1) In the off-chance that Luke even makes it into clothing other than his diaper, that rarely happens until the hour of 12 pm. We parade around in our undies and pajamas for the better half of the day.

2) Based on confession number one, it may come as no shock that we stay home. A lot. More than I would like, but either way it happens. I try to justify it with the, "I'm pregnant, and I'm tired, and I don't feel like climbing three sets of stairs with a toddler in tow" excuse, but that's just lame. And we don't have a yard for Luke to play in since we live in a condo, which then makes it even worse. But! I am working on making more of an effort to get out and about every day (yes, I am patting myself on the back).

3) I really suck at brushing Luke's teeth before bed. Who am I kidding? I suck at brushing my own teeth before bed. 

4) Curled hair? What's that? Yep, my hair is on top of my head or pulled back under a hat approximately 6 of the 7 days in the week, because, hello, I hate doing my hair. And my makeup.

5) In fact, it's ironic that I even have a style blog because I am such a bum when it comes to getting dressed and ready. I wear the same 5 things over and over again. Again, I am currently using the pregnant excuse thing, but we all know that ain't gonna change even after the baby gets here. It will probably get worse. However, that is why I have this blog, because it inspires me to put together a cute outfit and actually put on some mascara and lipstick every once in awhile. 

6) Luke should probably eat more vegetables than he does. Fruit is no problem. He could eat an entire strawberry field empty if we'd let him, but those darned leafy greens! He kind of hates them. And I kind of hate putting up a stink about it with him. So he kind of eats them, oh I don't know, 3 times a week? Gasp! Seriously though, what are some good tricks to get him to eat his veggies?

7) I have a really hard time putting myself out there (that statement seems boldly contradictory considering I have blog where I share a lot about myself and my life). Yes, I am friendly and can be outgoing when I have to be, but I am more of an introvert and homebody at heart. I desperately suffer from fear of rejection and the occasional bout of social anxiety, so more times than not I just stick to myself. That way I don't have to get my feelings trampled on or feel vulnerable and awkward.

8) This last trip to the pediatrician I was informed that Luke should no longer be taking his pacifier. What do you mean no more pacifier, doctor?! That thing is my lifesaver, my trusty wing man when daddy isn't around to pawn Luke off to during an episode of tantrums! So guess what? Luke still gets his pacifier, and I don't have any set date or plans of taking it away yet.

9) I only get around to making dinner about 3 times per week. And it's hardly ever 100% organic and beautifully staged. Those other nights it's the drive-thru or PB&J!

10) Oh, and I don't work out. I like the idea of it. It sounds really special and tempting, but I just kind of suck at that, too. And I fully intend on being a bum for the first 6 weeks post-partum, because my pain tolerance is at the lowliest of wussy levels, and conquering the world a week after I've birthed my second child pretty much sounds like hell.

So I guess that wasn't quite twenty, but those are my weaknesses that I am tired of feeling bad about. Yes, I am working on changing them, because I am an avid believer in constantly improving one's self, but I don't want to pretend that I lead a picture-perfect life. Yes, I generally like to post about the things that bring delight into my life and can uplift others. I know more than anyone that having a blog makes it easy to portray life as a cropped and edited half-version of the truth, showing only the beautiful and poised moments. I love that side of blogging, but I also love it when people tell me how it really is, what they suck at, and that it's okay to not be a Stepford Wife. Because sometimes an overabundance of all that seemingly uplifting, fluffy stuff can be a downer. Life needs balance, and sometimes balance calls for the ugly.

So there you have it, the humble confessions of Abbey. 

Now it's your turn to tell me yours so we can all feel better about ourselves, mkay? Awesome. High fives all around!

Labels:

18 Comments:

At July 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

we juice all our veggies. he drinks 'em right up! good luck! you're doing fine :)

 
At July 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

landon eats veggies like once every other month. you are winning in my opinion. :)

www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

 
At July 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Alyx said...

Put his veggies in a smoothie - he'll never know they're there.

 
At July 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM , Blogger P. said...

Oh, don't be too hard on yourself. Did you think you were the only one who feels that way? We all do. We all feel down or disappointed in ourselves at one point or another. We just choose not to share online because we're afraid we're the only ones, or that people won't want to read our sorrows. That's ridiculous! I think that if we were all honest and open about the little things that bother us, fewer things would actually bother us, because we'd know we're not alone. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. :)

xo,

Ana Paula

 
At July 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Try the book Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife!). She sneaks vegetables into stuff like mac and cheese.

 
At July 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Janelle said...

I love your confessions because I'm right there with you on, well, all of them. So thanks for posting and making me feel like I'm not the ONLY one!
http://janelleinreallife.blogspot.com

 
At July 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM , Blogger Jan said...

I'm so with you with #7 and I don't even have a kid. I have a dog. Anyway, you know what, Luke looks like a very happy kid so I think you're doing great in the mommy department. Oh and Ron and I have veggies twice a week...and we are adults. LOL :)

 
At July 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Abbey! I really love this post because you're a MAMA and going on baby number dos so don't sweat it .... I don't eat veggies every day and I am looking forward to starting the school year because then i'll have a legit excuse for staying in yoga pants/no makeup/bun on top of my head all day! haha

 
At July 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Tisse said...

LOVEEE this post!!! #7 is probably my favorite because it sounded like you wrote that one to describe me.... glad to know I'm not alone. Also in the cooking dinner department, I do that kind of never. Like once a weekish. Before Navi I cooked every.single.night... now the task of family dinner seems like the equivalent of climbing a mountain. So she eats her meal at 630 and Chris and I eat some halfassed concoction around 10. I would love to change this but I just haven't been able to really cook a meal with a toddler at my heals. Oh and hey, you say using the pregnant excuse is lame? NO way sister friend... noooo way! You've got a happy sweet toddler and you're growing a whole other life- you're doing great :)

 
At July 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Girl I am right there with you! Neither myself or my son are dressed for the day (if it even happens) until after his second nap, around 4pm ;) I wash my hair about every 5 days. I stopped cooking dinner the day I found out I was pregnant with #2. I also am an introvert with social anxiety, so who knows why I have a blog! Love this post :)
www.happygirlprettygirl.blogspot.com

 
At July 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are human, Abbey? WHO KNEW? Totally kidding. I love these posts as well because we all can relate so much. You are too funny, don't be so hard on yourself. I think we all related to most of these ;)

 
At July 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

I am a TERRIBLE cook, and I hate cooking anyway. My mom always lectures me about learning to cook now while it's just my husband and I, but I absolutely detest it. My children are probably going to eat sandwiches every day (which is basically what my diet consists of). Oh, and I hate working out, too. Right there with ya! :)

 
At July 31, 2013 at 2:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you are brave for shareing! And don't feel bad, feel better! And most of all, don't think about, what other people are thinking! I'm a mother of 5 (two set of twins and one inbetween) I know all about bad hairdays and no energy ;-)
-Life's a journey, not a destination.

xo, Cecilie ( I'm from Denmark, so my english, is not that good, hope you can understand what I wrote.)

http://blog.fashionmom.dk/

 
At July 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Brady and Brittany said...

Love it!

 
At July 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

I hear you on the exercising. I know you are supposed to love it, but I hate it. I didn't exercise at all with my son and I gained way too much weight (more than half my pre-pregnancy weight) so this time I am determined to work out. I can't say enough about how much I love the Moms Into Fitness DVDs by Lindsay Brin. I discovered them about 6 months after I had my son and I was tired of feeling bad about myself and have never looked back. I still hate exercising but these DVDs make it quick and easy to fit into your day.

 
At July 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Kylie Kelly Fuller said...

Wow you and I are a lot alike! I just found your blog and stalked you for about an hour. Haha I was so excited to see your a Mormon and couldn't believe you live in the San Diego area! We just moved to San Diego this spring and I am always finding cute mommy bloggers from here! We also have a toddlin little boy too! I loved this post because it totally sounds like me. I love finding momas I have a lot in common with! Love your style :)

 
At August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Dawnelle @ Just Dawnelle said...

Oh goodness can we be friends? I mean seriously... I almost laughed out loud reading some of these because it basically could have been me writing the exact same thing. Drive-thrus are my savior... my two and a half year old TOTALLY still takes a pacifier and I can feel the judgemental eyes from everyone around me (including my in-laws) every time I give it to him but you know what... who cares!!! He's not going to end up in kindergarten with it... so I say let the kid suck away! It helps keep me sane and gosh darn it I need to be sane at least part of the time. And brushing teeth? Shoot... they're all going to fall out anyway right? (Okay that sounds really bad but sometimes that's what I think when I remember after my kids are in bed that we didn't brush teeth..) Oh being a mom is rough sometimes haha

But you're fabulous and I do love reading your little ole blog here so keep it up my friend!! You're doing great!

 
At August 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM , Blogger Jessica @ Here&Now said...

You sound like a thoroughly modern Mother... & I love it! You are Super Woman, I swear!

xx
Here&Now

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home