<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Washington, I Love You

5.08.2013

Washington, I Love You

 

I cried as I stared out the windows to the tarmac, soaking in my last few moments in Washington. It is the place that holds memories for 19 years of my 25 year-old life. It is my home. Even though my parents no longer live there, walking around the stores, parks and streets brought me that feeling of completeness that only your roots can give you.

My days in Washington aren't really talked about on this blog. I suppose I just had strange feelings of animosity toward it last time I went 4 years ago and associated all the awkward and not so appealing events that occurred. My hometown isn't and shouldn't be defined by a few humiliating and rebellious teenage years. I blamed it for my problems, but the issue was really on the inside, and those devious thoughts and problems followed me no matter my location. But, as time has its magical ways of healing wounds and patching things up, I happily welcomed my arrival in Washington and the nostalgia swept over me intensely, knocking me and my heart to the ground. 

Luke met his two oldest uncles, aunt and cousins. And was enamored with them. My best gal pals, Molly and Katie (we call ourselves the BBP, which is a good story for another day), came up too and we were solemnly up to no good, per the usual. The sun shined in a way that made me wish we could move back. We visited old stomping grounds, and went on scenic tours of old hangouts and places I climbed towers and monkey bars as a kiddo. And there were so many new things too! Buildings, schools, stores, parks... I officially felt like an old dog.

I am currently trying to persuade Matt to find a job up there so I can live out my dream of living in a quaint old home in the North End of Tacoma. Oh, the windows and molding and shrubbery! We'll see how that one goes...

Oh, and for the record, Luke was a champion flyer. Like, the most well-behaved child that ever did fly. I feel badly for underestimating him. I suppose that taught me a lesson in parenting to give your child the benefit of the doubt and trust them until they prove you wrong, right?

Until next time, Washington. I truly love you and all the memories of people, places, and events that you bring along with it.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At May 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Mollie in Seattle said...

It was such a treat to get to see you and meet Luke! I hope you'll be back soon and it would be EVEN better if you moved back. Safe travels home, can't wait to see you again soon! xoxo

 
At May 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Dawnelle @ Just Dawnelle said...

Oh Washington... that place we are supposed to move to sometime soon... if our house ever sells! I'm so happy to hear Luke traveled well for you and your trip went well though!! And that you love it so much... it eases my mind a bit knowing people just love the area...

 
At May 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Amy Harris said...

My husband served his mission in Tacoma. Last summer before we got married, we took a trip up there so I could experience the greatness. It is so beautiful :) glad you had a good time!

 
At May 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't refrain from commenting. Perfectly written!

Here is my web page ... diarrhea remedies

 
At May 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

I've wanted to visit Washington forever... it looks so glorious. I have similar feelings about North Carolina, but home's always home, right?

 
At May 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous pictures. Glad your son travelled well. I think it's better to be prepared then to be complacent when it comes to kids.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

 
At May 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

It's amazing that you have such a strong connection there. Those things never seem to go away.
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At May 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Jill J. said...

I grew up there too...in Seattle and surrounding areas. I love it but love life so much better in SD. I am so happy that I get to visit often, though. I appreciate it so much better now that I am gone.

Jill
Classy with a Kick

 
At May 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Jessica @ Here(and)Now said...

those blue skies, those smiling faces! I love this shade of Barbie Girl pink on your lips pretty lady!
xx
Here&Now

 
At May 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Jessica Holly said...

Beautiful weather! I think "home" is always the best place on Earth- the ideal.

 
At May 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM , Blogger Gena said...

Looks like an exciting trip! I would love to go to Washington one day.
xo
Blush & Blossoms

 
At May 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Stefani said...

So fun! We're moving to Washington in...less than two weeks! Oh my goodness.

But we're going to the east side of the state, at least for now. I would love to end up on the west side eventually, though. It's so freaking gorgeous! Glad you had a great time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home