<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Cake And Paninis

5.10.2013

Cake And Paninis


Matt and I vetoed the whole getting each other presents thing this year for our anniversary. Instead, we decided to stay in for a pleasant, home-cooked meal. I decided it would be a good idea to make something fancy, and this red velvet strawberry shortcake cake was the end result. Do not let the pictures fool you. This beast stands a foot tall! And the weight from four layers of cake started to crumble the bottom layers at the end of it all. That was the moment I realized making a trifle would have practically given my the same end result and would not have been nearly as time consuming. I mean, this monster took me almost three hours to whip up. Wife of the year award goes to me.

Also on the menu were paninis of my own invention. A turkey caprese with an extra dash of pesto and red pepper jelly, if you will. Yes, mouth-watering. And definitely not gluten-free. I figure I can have a couple of splurge days a year, and since I completely skipped out on Thanksgiving dinner, this was my moment. So what if my head aches and my arms tingle a bit for a few days? This carb fest brought me joy in no other way possible than good food does. You know the happiness I am talking about. Like I've said before, food tastes better than skinny feels. End of story.

Since we should all indulge ourselves in food decadence every once in a great while, I give you the recipes for the most glorious dinner, perfect for a summer night.

The Abbey Panini (I just made that up)

Ingredients:

-Loaf of rosemary bread
-Turkey
-Pesto
-Red pepper jelly
-Basil
-Mozzarella cheese
-Tomato

Directions:

Put butter in a skillet on the stove top over medium heat and let melt. While butter is melting and heating, spread pesto on one slice of rosemary bread. On the other slice, spread red pepper jelly. Layer in turkey, basil, mozzarella slices, and tomato. Place on skillet and use another pan to press down. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, then flip and repeat on the other side. Yum-o!

Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake (derived from this I Am Baker recipe)

Ingredients:

-1 box of red velvet cake mix
-1 box of white cake mix
-1 large container of Cool Whip
-1 large container of sliced strawberries

Directions:

Bake two 9" round red velvet cakes, and two 9" round white cakes using the directions per your mixes. Cut up strawberries in the meantime since the baking takes forever (especially if you are lame like me and only have one 9" pan to bake with. Actually, make sure you have two for this recipe or you will be in the kitchen alllll daayyy and that is never fun, unless you like that sort of thing). Once cakes are cooked and cooled, put together the cake. Cake first, then whipped cream, then strawberries. Repeat until you have an enormous cake that looks like it is going to topple over. Now eat your heart out!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At May 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

We love paninis! Glad you had a nice time!

 
At May 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Anna @ IHOD said...

WOW. They both look to die for and are torturing this preggo. ;) Have the best Mothers Day weekend my friend! You deserve it!

 
At May 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Stefani said...

This looks so good!! I'm gonna have to pull out our panini grill and make some of those.

 
At May 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

That cake looks like the greatest thing I have ever seen!
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At May 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Tori Baldridge said...

That picture of you and MAtt...dying!

 
At May 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cake looks amaaaaaazing! I might have to make one :)

 
At May 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Anna Demko said...

I love paninis and make them on regular basis...
Thanks for recipe

happymedley.blogspot.com

 
At May 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Anna Demko said...

Oh and Happy Mother's Day Abbey!

happymedley.blogspot.com

 
At May 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Siobháin Autumn said...

Red Pepper Jelly is the best thing ever. I love it with cream cheese smeared on a cracker!

Cheers!


Siobhain

www.thehapagirl.com

 
At May 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Both look amazing!!! I love paninis!!! Great job on the cake. Looks delicious.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

 
At May 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Jan said...

The cake looks insanely good! :D

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

 
At May 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Katie said...

That cake looks like heaven. You did a great job on it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home