<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Life Doesn't Have To Be Perfect (And A Free Printable)

6.04.2015

Life Doesn't Have To Be Perfect (And A Free Printable)


The idea of "perfection" is something I struggle with. It's an incredibly subjective word, and we each hold our own belief of what perfect is—the perfect home, the perfect physical appearance, the perfect marriage, etc. My perfect isn't going to look like yours, and vice versa. But I think that ideal can be a huge catalyst for the comparison game.

For example, I don't consider myself to be exceptionally organized or meticulous when it comes to cleaning. Yes, I keep my house generally "clean" but not spotless. The floors are swept, the dishes are usually done at some point in the day and the counters get wiped, but that's about it. The bathrooms are realistically only cleaned once every two weeks, and laundry will forever be my arch nemesis with its ever-present piles following me around. Toys and rogue socks cover the floors and there are fingerprints all over the fridge and windows. But this isn't my idea of a "perfectly" cleaned homed. And when I see families with children who are able to actually keep their throw pillows and rugs in immaculate condition, and nary a smudge on the wall I am absolutely gobsmacked. HOW DO THEY DO IT? It's up there with having magical powers, in my opinion. I am truly mystified.

But then there is the flipside. There are definitely people out there who don't tidy up like I do (thanks for making me feel better about myself, Hoarders—God bless reality television!) and deep clean maybe once every four months. No judgment, and to each their own, but the point is that my idea of being generally clean could be "perfect" to them.

I think this can be applied to all facets of life. We all come from different backgrounds, possess different priorities, and have specific preferences. That makes for widespread variation, which is a great thing!

But then comes that sneaky, poisonous comparison and it doesn't believe in reason and logic. It forgets all of the beauty in life and the ample blessings, and hones in with a laser-sharp precision on what is wrong with my life. I will never have pencil thin arms and legs. I have adult acne. Somehow my kids are always crying and melting down when every other child is exhibiting behavior worthy of sainthood. Hell, I even get into weird moods where I am agitated because my walls are beige instead of bright white. I mean, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME. And then I realize how ridiculous I am and say to myself, Abbey! Child, you live in one of the most beautiful places with a great roof over your head, and you and your children are strong and healthy. Shape up, or ship out, girlfran!




That's where this beautiful printable comes in.

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful." -Annette Funicello

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!

I've printed it and have it proudly displayed on my mantel to remind me when I start getting all "woe is me" and that nonsense.

My talented friend, Carli, did the hand-lettering. There are two 8x10 prints available. The black ink with a white background or the inverted version. These will only be available for two weeks, so be sure to hurry and get yours printed. (Tell your mom, sisters and friends!) Also, you should follow her on Instagram for more inspirational quotes and sayings. She will eventually be opening a shop, so stay tuned for that as well! Download the free printables here:

Perfect and Wonderful Printable White
Perfect and Wonderful Printable Black

Here's to living our lives to the fullest, doing our best to live in the moment and embrace who we are, flaws and imperfections included!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At June 5, 2015 at 5:40 AM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

I think perfection is something we all struggle with. It's not that it seems possible....it's that when you look at someone else's life, things seem perfect. The comparisons are the hard part! I love that print. Thank you so much for sharing it.
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At June 6, 2015 at 9:44 PM , Blogger yours truly said...

Yes yes and yes! I see so many pictures on Instagram with a house full of kiddos and the house looking straight out of a magazine! It is so easy to feel like I'm not doing enough but like you said, shape up or ship out! My family is healthy and my toddler is clean so as far as I'm concerned, life is good!

www.bekahcurtiss.blogspot.com

 
At June 9, 2015 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The comparisons are the devil! ;) Glad you love the print! xo

 
At June 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

EX-ACTLY. Instagram is very much a love/hate thing for me. Nobody's life is as perfect as they make it out to be, and I am the first one to admit I am guilty of "curating" only the prettiest, brightest pictures. We just need to count our blessings and be our best. Life IS good! xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home