<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : 5 Brilliant British Movies To Watch On Netflix This Weekend

6.12.2015

5 Brilliant British Movies To Watch On Netflix This Weekend



1. The Duchess. Oh, Keira. You beautiful British babe. She is the queen of British films, is she not? What a fitting role for her to play! I have only seen half of this movie because this is not one to turn on while making dinner with children being noisy in background. This is one of those make-yourself-a-bowl-of-popcorn-and-watch-at-night-in-the-splendor-of-silence-with-subtitles kind of movies. Also, can we talk about the costumes for one sec? Incredible! I want to dress up as an 18th-century aristocrat once in my life before I die. Maybe Halloween 2018? Gives me a solid three years to prepare. I think that should suffice.



2. Mansfield Park. This list would not be complete without a Jane Austen novel-turned-movie, now would it? Mansfield Park is full of the common themes of mankind; morality, family, love, feminism, independence, tragedy. It's terribly dramatic and wonderful.



3. Jane Eyre. Ahhh, another gem. Mia Wasikowska (you might know her from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland) plays Jane Eyre, and I think she is brilliant (is my Brit lingo on point here?), so this movie was everything I hoped it would be. Again, it hits on all the usual themes as mentioned above, including mental illness. I know we all love Charlotte Bronte in our day in age because the topics she writes about are so relevant to society, but I always have to remind myself of the boldness, foresight and wit it took be writing about these things in her lifetime. Truly a genius, that one!



4. Call the Midwife. First of all, have you read the books? They are wonderful. And the TV series has been done really well in maintaining the storyline and nailing the characters, in my opinion. (I need a Chummy in my life.) If you love Downton Abbey, you will love this show.



5. Bridget Jones's Diary. I just realized after adding all of the images that I put these movies in chronological order. Not intentionally, but consider these movies a lesson in history—we'll call it A History of British Women's Studies 101. Anyway, Bridget is my favorite. She is the lovable, clumsy and pathetic heroine to whom I relate. Lying under the covers with empty Cheetos and Twix bar wrappers, wallowing in self pity? Yep, been there before... like 500 times. At least. You will possibly almost die of secondhand embarrassment watching this, but you will certainly be cheering for ole' Bridge by the end. It's a rom com classic. (And the sequel is on Netflix too!)

Have a wonderful weekend!

12 | 3 | 4 | 5

Labels:

6 Comments:

At June 12, 2015 at 5:21 AM , Blogger Me said...

Jane Eyre isn't Austen. It's Bronte.

 
At June 12, 2015 at 5:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I had not heard of The Duchess. Going in my list now!

 
At June 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Doh! I knew that! My mind was mush and I wrote this late last night. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

 
At June 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's a good one!

 
At June 15, 2015 at 9:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh The Duchess is totally on my list now!!

 
At August 11, 2015 at 3:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh I love it! :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home