<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : 25

1.28.2013

25









Hello, twenty-five. You look shiny and new and there is something extra jazzy about you. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I just know you bring many happy times ahead.

Looking back on my year as a 24-year old, it got a little dicey here and there. I don't know what it is about my years with the number four in them (should I be preparing for a midlife crisis at 44? Probably!). They seem to be a refining milestone in my life. Kind of like a snake shedding its skin. That's how I imagine it in my mind, anyhow. 

Life at 24 was remarkable, don't get me wrong, especially since it was my first year as a mother. I suppose that's why it felt unnerving, questionable, and delightful all in one mangled wrapper. Insecurities surfaced to an uncomfortable level. I went to war with myself for the better half of a year, fighting my way to serenity at the end. It's funny how your biggest enemy is often times your very own self. I guess that whole learning to love who you are mumbo-jumbo and accepting your life for what it is, including past, present and future, really is true.

It was a year of reexamining my honest to goodness beliefs. You know, that stuff you just feel to be true at the core of your heart and the rattling reminder of it in your bones when you try to shrug it off, or when someone important disagrees with you. Feeling like you are letting someone down whom you highly admire is the worst, but feeding yourself untruths is even more toxic. My faith was tested... to say the least. Life as I know it rested on finding the truth for which I desperately searched. I suppose life is a constant search for truth though, right? What is "truth" anyway? People who say they have it all figured out are a bunch of dirty liars, and cannot be trusted (there goes that irony popping its way into my life again).

As much as I like fluffy, frilly things and talking about the color pink, my life isn't always so cheerful and I don't want it to be. That's the silly thing about blogs. While I do believe blogs are a place to promote the lovely and creative aspects of life, I think it's healthy and refreshing to display the parts in disarray every once in awhile. We blogging folk can all try to fool readers into thinking life is perfect based on the projections we display through posts and pictures, but I am here to tell you that I do not have a perfect life, and hereby solemnly swear to promote the truth more often. The last thing I want to do is make someone feel their life is inadequate or not crafty and fulfilled enough because of putting only the best of my existence out there. I know the feeling of social media making one hate the world and all the hip people accompanied with it, so we are going to attempt to meet a happy middle ground of pretty and realistic things here.

Year 24 was a year of forgiveness and soul-searching, and year 25 is going to be one of reinventing, honesty, and reality. So without further ado, I would like to start off this year of truths with admitting that I desperately look forward to Luke's bedtime every night. I am exhausted and need to hear myself think once 7 pm rolls around, and being childless is a wonderful place for me where I selfishly indulge in whatever I please for those few brief, glorious hours. My best friend and I were talking about this very subject, and since we are being skin-baring honest here on this space now, I just can't fathom how some mamas seemingly love and adore their children 24/7 and don't want to throw their kiddos in bed. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I am missing some innate mothering portion of my brain that allows me to feel insurmountable affection (but then again, this is also a year of coming to terms with the not so pretty parts of my life that I finally revealed needed some sprucing up) or if I am just admitting what others are afraid to say? Am I the only one that breathes a victorious sigh of relief (I kept a human alive another day!) each night I put my screaming toddler away out of my hair (literally)? It doesn't mean I don't love that little Nugget. I'm over the moon nuts about him, but I am a better mother when I take time for myself. I am a creature of solace, and always have, always will need plentiful amounts of personal space and time.

Well, there is my truth I was afraid to say out loud, but alas, I did it! And I'm still alive! And better for it! What are some things that scare you to talk about? Give me topics and let's hash it out! Let's talk about life, gosh-dagnabbit!

To end my rambling, I'd like to raise my glass to a beautiful 25th year. I am incredibly excited for all the things in store for my life this year, both personally and professionally, and just have a gut feeling this is my year.

I would like to leave you with a fun little birthday film we made of our weekend with my awesome birthday present. Yes, that means I finally joined the world in getting a smartphone, which means I finally have Instagram (since you all were just dying to follow along with more pictures of my life, right? ;) Oh, and it just happens to be a happy coincidence that I got my phone at the same time Vine completely blew up all over the app/blogging world. Needless to say, I would love for you to follow me @alongabbeyroad on both of them! 

Thanks again for coming back every day to read about my life and build friendships with me. I sure do love you guys! Happy Monday!

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At January 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.wordpress.com

 
At January 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Abbey. I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing so much in this post. I really appreciate the honesty and I'm sure that there are plenty of women out there who can definitely relate. I'm sure 25 will be a wonderful year for you!

 
At January 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Dawnelle @ Just Dawnelle said...

Oh goodness I'm with you my friend. I don't understand either... I need that time after bedtime... Sometimes, I'll admit, I even stay up way way later than I should knowing I'm going to die the next morning just because I want an extra hour or two to myself with my children sleeping peacefully and safe in their beds.

Anyway... your video is super fun and happy birthday!!!

xoxo
Dawnelle
JustDawnelle

 
At January 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Happy birthday! It was mine this weekend too. I should have done a video like you--that was PRECIOUS. And that little babe is adorable. Hope you've had a spectacular 25th. Here's to another great year.

 
At January 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM , Blogger pretty little things said...

happy birthday girl!! xo

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

 
At January 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM , Blogger AmiCheri said...

Happy Birthday, Abbey! I have to say your photography is getting amazing. What camera do you use? Hope your year of 25 is wonderful!

 
At January 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Kelsey Lenay said...

Happy Birthday gorgeous!

 
At January 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Anna Demko said...

Happy Birthday! I love your honesty and almost positive that most of the moms feel the same way. I'm 2 weeks away from meeting my little angel but it can't help but think that It's going to be sooo hard. Thank you for this post! I love reading your ramblings


happymedley.blogspot.com

 
At January 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

Happy, happy birthday!! This might be one of my favorite posts from you ever :) I am 25 too, and there is something different about it, isn't there?!
I am constantly trying to find "a happy middle ground of pretty and realistic things" on my blog as well. It's inspiring and relieving to read about both the good & hard parts of life of bloggers I admire...thanks for sharing your honest thoughts!

 
At January 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM , Blogger crissy // mama boss said...

I wasn't going to read your whole post, at first glance it seemed a bit wordy, but once I got started I couldn't stop. This is a beautiful post!
And don't worry, you're not the only mother who looks forward to bedtime. I think most moms feel the same, I know I do. Sometimes I feel like a horrible mother, because I feel like I can't take another second and bedtime, where are you?! But it's nothing to be ashamed of. Being "mom" is hard, constant work, we all need time to ourselves to replenish. It's that alone time that rejuvenates us, that helps us to be better mothers. :)
(Go me, at first glance, I thought you post was wordy, and now I'm leaving this huge comment.. :)
Anyway, a very Happy Birthday to you! :)

 
At January 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Joke said...

Happy birthday. Wishing you a great year. I loved this post so much. I felt the same way about 24. It was an odd year. But I've been 25 for almost 2 months now and I can say it's the best!

 
At January 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Laura Collard said...

Sheesh...I love honesty. I have been blown over by motherhood lately and it is so refreshing to hear someone voice the very same things I've been feeling with my 17-month-old. So to you I say...AMEN! And also...happy birthday! Love your blog.

 
At January 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Jan said...

Happy birthday pretty momma :) I love everything you said on here! Great video too!

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

 
At January 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

cheers to a year of honesty & reality! happiest birthday love.

also, I was wondering how you got that beautiful 'pin it' button over your pictures. do you have a tutorial that you would recommend?

 
At January 29, 2013 at 4:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

happy birhday! looks like you had a wonderful day.

and loving the blog design. is it new or do i have a really rubbish memory?

 
At January 29, 2013 at 7:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I clicked on your blog by chance...I feel like I was ment to read this post...I'm struggling in life right now. Even though I'm a mom there are some days that I just don't even want to live. I know that it's selfish of me, but I can't stop feeling this way. I would like to thank you for your honesty, and to let you know that it has made a difference in my day. Here's to staying a live one day at a time.

 
At January 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Anne Hill said...

Yay happy birthday!

 
At January 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am so happy I could help lift your spirits. Hang in there! Being a mom makes us crazy with all those hormones going nuts, plus all the new adjustments in life. Try to focus on the good and know you aren't alone! Please email me anytime if you need to chat. I would love to be a listening ear :) Have a good day!

 
At January 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday! sorry i'm a little late!

 
At January 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Jessica @ Here(and)Now said...

Happy #25! I hope it is a year on continued growth, challenges, and happiness! I can't wait to see what 25 has for both of us!
xx

Here&Now
Enter My MsDressy Giveaway

 
At February 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely video. Who is the music by?

 
At February 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! It is Pomelos by Mechanical River!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home