<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Excuse Me, Do You Work Here?

11.21.2012

Excuse Me, Do You Work Here?


Peplum (dress worn as a top): c/o eShakti. Slip/undershirt: c/o Kingdom & State. Pants: LOFT. Heels: Nine West. Bracelets: H&M.

Apparently my forehead is permanently stamped with a "I work here and am here to help" sign. It doesn't even matter where I shop.

This last weekend, I was quietly minding my own business trying on hats and scarves at Target, when a 60-something year old lady walked up and abruptly inquired, "Yes, where are the children's work out clothes, please?"

To which I replied, "Uhhh. Ahhh. Ummm... the children's work out clothes?"

Old lady: "Yes, the Champion brand I think it is."

Me: "Uhhhhhh (getting red in the face from a mixture of amusement, shock, and humiliation).

Old lady: "Ohhh my goodness! You don't work here, do you?!"

Me: "No."

Let's review the whole scene. First, my shopping cart filled to the brim with groceries was right next to me. Second, last time I checked Target employees didn't wear black sweats and black hoodies with wet I-just-got-out-of-the-shower hair. Third, never, not even once in my life have I seen an actual employee trying on clothing and accessories during their shift. Usually they are too busy giving you the stink eye for touching something they just tidied up in the chaotic belt section (I wouldn't be happy 300 knotted belts later either).

I guess the most important moral of this story is this isn't the first time this incredibly awkward situation has occurred. Last year (during Christmas), someone at Walmart asked me if I worked there as I was digging through random tree ornaments. Once again, it was clear as day that I was in the middle of shopping, and someone still assumed I worked there.

I'm still trying to decide if I come across as friendly and helpful or if I just act like I own the place everywhere I go? I can't help it if retail stores and shopping centers are my second home and I exude an unusual comfort level while shopping. Right?

One thing I do know is that holiday time makes shoppers crazy and delusional. So please, next time you ask someone for help this holiday season, make sure you double check they actually work there and save yourself the embarrassment. And them.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At November 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM , Blogger Elisha said...

Bahaha, that's too funny!!

 
At November 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM , Blogger BeautyStyleGrowth said...

That has happened to me a few times. Love this look. I may give printed pants a second try and pair with a peplum top as you've done here.

k at www.beautystyleandgrowth.blogspot.com

 
At November 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM , Blogger BeautyStyleGrowth said...

That's a peplum dress? Where is the rest of the dress???
Just wondering ;)

 
At November 21, 2012 at 7:43 AM , Blogger Shay said...

That is so funny! I bet you just look friendly:-) And I love that shirt- I saw one at Target like that but didn't know that I could pull it off. You definitely can!

 
At November 21, 2012 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Asher said...

This look is seriously all kinds of fabulous!

 
At November 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just folded it up into the top section. It was a little big anyway, so it filled in the loose areas :)

 
At November 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM , Blogger K & J said...

That's hilarious!!! Maybe you need to have a mean look when shopping...smiling makes people think you want to help.
LOVE the outfit..you look gorgeous!! Love how well the pants & heels go together.....Kara XO

 
At November 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM , Blogger p S h A o R t A o said...

How strange! I work for Target and I'm in the office doing HR work more, but sometimes when I'm out on the floor (giving stink eyes to those who are oblivious to the folding I just did in their presence only to get it messed up again ha), I get asked if I do actually work there. AND I have on a red top and khaki, with a folding board in front of me.

What?

You look darling btw!

 
At November 27, 2012 at 7:13 AM , Anonymous Audra said...

Happens to me all the time!
Audra

 
At January 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Megan said...

Love how you made the dress into a top! I never would've thought of that. I guess that's what makes you a fashionista and now me, ha :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home