<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Domesticity Taking Over

9.08.2011

Domesticity Taking Over

Once upon a time, the name Abbey and the word domestic rarely fit into the same sentence. Hubs hit the jackpot if I somehow managed to cook dinner. Nevermind the fact that these dinners consisted of spaghetti and bagged salad, the easiest cooking task on the planet.

Slowly that foreign world in the kitchen, beloved by so many other wifeys, began to take hold of my curiosity. Food blogs added fuel to my fire and I just couldn't say no to the double-layer chocolate cake any longer. 

Long story short, the past 2.5 years turned me into a decent cook. Luckily, I inherited the ability-to-not-burn-things gene, and it's all turned out for the best in the Rodriguez household.

All this being said, I posted the book, The Help, to my Friday Favorites list a couple of week back. If you are a bookworm, I am positive you have read it by now. If you are a food junkie (and eat meat), I am positive you have had a serious craving for fried chicken. Ok, maybe that's just me. I'll chalk it up to being pregnant. 


After reading and talking about fried chicken for the past 3 weeks, I finally mustered the domestic courage to make my very own Southern Fried Chicken. Lawd-a-mercy on our cholesterol levels...

Drumroll please (no pun intended, teeheehee)...


Southern Fried Chicken Recipe

6 chicken drumsticks
1 1/2 c. Crisco
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 c. flour
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 brown paper bag

Salt and pepper thawed drumsticks to taste. Comine buttermilk and egg in a bowl. Soak drumsticks in buttermilk mixture for about 5 minutes. While chicken is soaking, combine the flour with all the other dry ingredients in a brown paper bag. Shake well to mix all the spices. Place all the drumsticks in the brown bag. Shake until drumsticks are completely covered in flour. Take out of the bag and soak all the drumsticks in the buttermilk mixture a second time. Place back in flour bag and shake well. Heat Crisco on medium heat until you have about 1/2 to 1 inch of oil to fry in. Place chicken in frying pan and fry until it browns. Turn chicken several times. Fry for about 15 to 20 minutes until golden. When finished place drumsticks on a metal rack over the sink to drain excess oil and cool off. Enjoy that homemade Southern goodness and give yourself a pat on the back!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At September 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Denise Pacurar said...

WOW! This looks delicious!!!!!!!!!! Congrats! Looks like you did a really good job!!

I have yet to read this book/see the movie!! I really want to!

xoxo Denise

http://allthingsnew-denise.blogspot.com/

 
At September 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM , Blogger The Apron Gal said...

Abbey! That is amazing and looks so good! Your domestic skills are very impressive! yummmmy!

 
At September 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Andrea @ Strawberry Chic said...

I have always wanted to make my own fried chicken but have never had the courage to try it. Thanks for posting the recipe, It's going on my to-do list!

 
At September 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

looks delicious!! i'm not a cook at all my mom says i'm allergic to the kitchen but i really need to learn to cook!

http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

 
At September 8, 2011 at 5:57 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

Such a great post! I saw the movie last weekend and immediately went out and picked up the book. I couldn't believe I hadn't already read it! I am super excited to read it.

http://the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At September 8, 2011 at 9:09 PM , Blogger peachprovocateur.com said...

Wow...I could totally go for some fried chicken...even though it's after 12 at night!

xoxo
margaret

btw, thx for the comment!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 4:05 AM , Blogger Michelle's Style File said...

THanks for the book recommendation- I'll be sure to look this one up : )

x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home