<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Awkward Situations

8.02.2011

Awkward Situations

 
Blouse, Crops, & Ring: LOFT. Necklace: Thrifted. Sunnies: Vintage. Heels: Dollhouse.

Sometimes communication with others is extremely awkward. We are all people, so of course we all make mistakes, feel embarrassed, or just plain out feel awkward from time to time.

Situation #1: Small Talk With Acquaintances

This is especially applicable to seeing your parents' old highschool friends or people you know well enough where it would be rude to keep on walking and awkward to give them the "I just saw you but am going to pretend I didn't" walk-by. You all know what I am talking about, and we have all done it at one time or another. In these small talk chat circles, I always find the topics to be trivial. It's like in all the old English movies where they tell you to talk about the weather and your health and you will be fine. Sound advice, I tell you..."How are you doing?" "Very well, thank you." "Lovely day for a picnic, isn't it?" Then you are off on your merry way. The worst though is when you are at the grocery store and you keep running into them, which resorts in making some sort of joking remark about peanut butter because you don't know what else to do. Awkward.

Situation #2: Trying to End a Conversation With People That Talk Forever

Bless those who have been gifted with the ability to talk for hours on end. I, for one, am not one of those people. Yes, I like to gab and have great conversation (so don't peg me for an antisocial), however it can get awkward when trying to exit the conversation because an errand or appointment needs tending to. The worst is when you go to say "well, gotta get going!" but then they lead into some heart-wrenching story that you simply can't walk away from. Again, it would be rude. After 45 minutes of non-stop chatting, it gets to the point where you have to be blunt and say you really have to go since you are late for a meeting, or something of that nature. Then the other person feels embarrassed and gets all apologetic for talking your head off. Awkward.

Situation #3: Parents Attempting to Unearth Your Personal Issues (Or Theirs) You Would Rather Not Discuss With Them

I am a firm advocate of keeping an open channel of communication with parents. It makes for a stronger family unit, but there are just some things you don't want to talk about with your parents. The main topic that should be on the Do Not Speak Of list are talks or descriptions of one's detailed intimate life. I don't care how much wisdom they have to share, I would rather read it in a book by someone claiming they are a professional. The only time I have ever seen this work is in Meet The Fockers, and even then Gaylord gets embarrassed and you end up feeling awkward for the poor shmuck. Let's just say there is a difference between the birds & bees talks as a pubescent teenager, versus adult, married sex talks. The first I would say is mandatory; the second I would say is not advisable and...awkward.

Now say awkward 25 times, as fast as you can. You will begin to sound and feel like a bird :)

Don't forget to stop by here and enter the accessories giveaway! It ends in less than a week, so scurry on over if you haven't put you entries in!

Hope you all are staying happy and avoiding awkward situations today!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At August 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Andrea @ Strawberry Chic said...

This definitely made me laugh! I am so grateful for parents who have never tried to talk to me about "the birds and the bees" (after marriage I mean). Oh and watch out...my sister Laurel is one of those who will talk your ear off!

Cute outfit by the way, I love the white blouse!

 
At August 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM , Blogger Jessica Holly said...

1. You are such a babe. Your lipstick color? I die.

2. So true...I always feel SO awkward in those situations with acquaintances! I feel like I usually just try really hard to avoid eye contact...it's the eye contact that seals the deal!

 
At August 3, 2011 at 4:25 AM , Blogger Evil Nelly said...

lol.. loved going through this post..i totally agree with you on the breakin up a conversation bit..i do it almost every other day and i feel so bad later ;)
btw, loved ur outfit, that orangetone lipstick is the bomb!
following u now :)
hugs,
Nelly
www.massacredmascara.blogspot.com

 
At August 3, 2011 at 5:08 AM , Blogger Pandora`s Box said...

You look very classy. Love the lipstick shade on you.

 
At August 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Shruti said...

I have faced all these situation and I say they are really REALLY awkward. ha ha! You just made me remember the worst ones.

anyway... great outfit. I loved the white casual blouse and those red lips. Very summer chic. Would love to follow each other.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger MissKait said...

thank you for your lovely comment...and yes of course we shall be bloggy friends, I am now following you as well!
Love that white blouse so cute and so versatile.

xo
Kaitlin

http://kaitgirl.blogspot.com

 
At August 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Angie He said...

Cute blouse! perfect for this hot summer.
Your lipstick is so sweet ;)
xoxo, Angie
www.styleninfa.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home