<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Dressing For Your Age

8.03.2011

Dressing For Your Age


 I received a reader submission to show how a certain item can be worn at any age. Since leggings are becoming a major part of my wardrobe and the fall season will soon be upon us, they made it in as the spotlight item of the week.
 For us younger gals, leggings are perfect to wear with a long top and some seriously fabulous heels or booties. Don't forget to add your pop of color for some funk.
The length of the shirt dress is longer, but still short enough that leggings are a good way to add a third piece to this oufit. Flats make this age appropriate and a belt is a perfect accessory to pull the look together.

As you age, it is important to dress AGE APPROPRIATE. Let's define age appropriate and address some things you should avoid like the plague:

  • Short skirts, dresses, shorts, or basically anything where your thigh is exposed like a 16 year old Hollister employee. It just makes you look older than you really are.
  • Glitter. Nobody wants to see glitter lotion, makeup, or hair on a middle-aged woman. It screams midlife crisis.
  • Graphic tees. This category of clothing is targeted specifically at a young crowd and needs to remain that way. Stay away from the Justin Bieber tees and Twilight logos!
  • Excessively high platforms. Again, it looks like you are trying too hard. And don't try to justify the fact that Madonna is 52 and still wears them. She is Madonna and in a league of her own (ha...yes, I am laughing at my own joke).

Now here are the key items that will keep you in style and feeling your age:

  • Cropped pants. These are a fabulous go-to option for warm and mild weather, and they look cute with flats or a heel.
  • Blazers. These are a prime fashion item that look exquisite on older women. It screams fabulous.
  • Basic tees. The way to make these fun and styled are to add a printed cardigan or your amazing diamond necklace you got for your anniversary. Lucky for you, you can adorn yourself in diamonds and not look tacky, as Audrey would say. And we should always listen to Audrey.
  • Scarves. This is an accessory great for any age, and specfically looks chic on older fashionistas. It's an easy way to add a pop of color or print to a simple outfit.

Speaking of accessories, my giveaway ends next Monday so hop on over here and enter! There is a good chance you will win something, as there is a list of 5 things and it is an extra special giveaway!

Make it a fabulous day, lovelies!

Labels:

20 Comments:

At August 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Baby Budget Blog said...

Excellent post! I really think some women really need to know the proper way to wear leggings and you've shown them :) Thanks for the sweet comment and for following my blog! Definetly following back :)

www.plentyforpennies.com

 
At August 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM , Anonymous Heather Rodriguez said...

Great advice! I didn't realize how great leggings were until this 3rd pregnancy.....also, where do I find those cute 20-30s shoes?? I'm not familiar with dollhouse. Thanks Abbey!

 
At August 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Blogger The Fashion Twice said...

Hi thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I'm following too! Hope you'll like my blog as I love yours :) cheers :D

Follow thefashiontwice.com
and join my new GIVEAWAY for boys&girls

 
At August 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore this post, it really made me laugh! Loving your writing style. Do you have a Bloglovin I can follow you back on, as well as following on Blogger? Thanks for sharing. xoxo, Veena <3

http://seven-inch-stilettos.blogspot.com

 
At August 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM , Blogger What Sadie Did said...

Great tips - love how you wrote it in such a comical way!!

I love all of the older women tips - scarves, blazers etc - whoops!! ;)

Sadie x
http://whatsadiedid.blogspot.com/

 
At August 3, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger janel said...

I love leggings, thanks for all the tips! I can't wait for fall, all the fun things that you can wear in that season.

http://www.afoolforfashion.com/

 
At August 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM , Blogger janel said...

Oh sorry I forgot to add--Thanks for the comment on my blog, also you can never have to many bloggy friends!;)

 
At August 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM , Blogger Kate L. said...

Great picks! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you now:)

Fashion Cat
www.firstlookbook.blogspot.com

 
At August 4, 2011 at 5:33 AM , Anonymous Sabrina said...

I like all the things in these pictures! :)

Thank you for your comment on my blog!

Now i'm following you
http://freakyfriday-sabrina.blogspot.com

 
At August 4, 2011 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Kimberly said...

great post! really helpful tips especially for the older women who can't seem to find her style! i love leggings they're so comfy!

http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

 
At August 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Viola said...

great post!! both of those versions are beautiful!
thanks for following, I follow you back!

Caught in Vogue
xx Luna

 
At August 5, 2011 at 12:56 AM , Blogger Fashion-Bridge said...

Hi dear,

What a great blog you have! I love the name of it! Oh, makes me think about good times in London and walking the aka the Beatles alongside Abbey Road!

The post about braids is so cute! I'm the fan of the trand and not gonna drop it in the fall! no way!;))

great blog!

Xx

Alexandra

Check or follow me on
http://fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

 
At August 5, 2011 at 1:17 AM , Blogger Pandora`s Box said...

Great post. Thanks for the tips.
My latest post:
http://pandorasssbox.blogspot.com/2011/08/krizmah-designer-bags-with-conscience.html

 
At August 5, 2011 at 1:31 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I love the pieces! Thank you so much for your comment and for following! I'm following you back, so happy to be blogger buddies too :)

kisses

stylemesteph

 
At August 5, 2011 at 2:47 AM , Blogger Isabel said...

Hi Sweetie!
Thanks for your sweet comment,your blog is gorgeous!
I'm not from Sevilla,I'm from Valencia,jaja thanks for Follow me i follow u now ok?
xx'

 
At August 5, 2011 at 4:28 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

Fab post idea, and your outfit choices are spot on! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm really greatful for your lovely comment.

I'm so pleased that you're following me. I really think you've got a brilliant blog so I'm following you back.

x

http://fandabbydozie.blogspot.com/

 
At August 5, 2011 at 5:01 AM , Blogger Michelle's Style File said...

Some great leggings advice!!

x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

 
At August 5, 2011 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I follow you back, dear! And thank you for your comment!

http://entrophiabehindgreeneyes.blogspot.com/

 
At August 5, 2011 at 6:10 AM , Blogger Simply Camylla said...

What a great advice! I see so many people that really dont dress appropriate for their age. I wish they could see your blog. LOL

Thank you for leaving your sweet comment on my blog. I cant to become blog besties <3 Following :)

Lots of love
simplycamylla.blogspot.com

 
At August 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger .Candy. said...

Great advise! I say wear the clothes with attitude! However simple it may be, if you add confidence, you'll get that oomph you're looking for!

http://intoxicatedchameleon.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home