<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : Julian, CA

12.03.2012

Julian, CA


Inspiration and introspective thoughts weasel their way into my head usually at night when I'm tossing and turning restlessly. I wish my brain had an off switch, but I've learned a good deal about myself and brainstormed some of my best ideas during those late night rumbles with my brain.

Most recently, I somewhat shamefully realized that my life is... boring. Boring in the sense that I really don't go on fun little travels, or experience one new thing per day. It's just the same thing day in and day out, which is necessary with a baby. Schedules are important for their happiness, and obviously you are stuck in the house a lot when they take naps twice a day. 

But that doesn't mean I can't make the most of those in-between times. I live in San Diego, for the love! 

I think it is easy for moms to get trapped in a rut, trying to navigate a healthy balance for both mom and baby's sanity. I am a homebody by nature and can easily get sucked in to staying home all day, because sometimes it is easier to not deal with all the work that goes into taking day trips. Packing the diaper bag to the brim, driving an hour or so to the destination, running into the possibility that your child might fuss the whole time, etc. I suppose I should be used to this routine by now, but at times I still get intimidated by all the work required to go on mini adventures that I used to take on a whim, no strollers attached. I suppose this sounds silly to some, because what is the big deal? But again, I've come to another painful realization that I get easily overwhelmed with the fact that I have a child who completely, 100% relies on me. And I say I am ready for another one, ha. That sounds laughable alongside this confession. But the truth is, I feel it deep down in my bones that another wee one isn't far off and I would like to conquer my fears and apprehension.

I am starting my New Year's resolution early this year. I will be compiling a list of places to visit and activities (the official list to come later) to complete that involve getting out and living an active, fulfilled life. A resolution that involves a conscious effort to be more adventurous, learning to overcome feelings of anxiety and defeat, and ultimately enhance my life so I can be a better mother, wife, and friend.

The first check off the list: Visit Julian, CA.

Luke and I moseyed our way to this charming town tucked away up in the mountains this last week. The main drag is lined with rustic buildings and the best kind of knick-knacky shops. Julian is most famous for its apples, and the pies and cider that go along with it, so naturally we indulged in some of that cidery goodness. We bought some local honey and candy (by the way, the honey is the best I've ever tasted and would be worth the trip just to grab a few bottles of that Mesquite sweet!). Luke decided he needed to blend in, so he got a Davy Crockett hat, and away we strolled, enjoying the slow pace of the small-town vibe.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At December 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Julian is by far one of my favorite places to visit. I went apple picking there earlier in the fall, and loaded up on pies for the freezer.

Sending good vibes your way in overcoming the feelings of anxiety and defeat - I think that Julian was a great place to start :)

 
At December 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Jan said...

Julian looks like a cute, quaint town! I love visiting places like that :) I wish it wasn't 2hours+ away. Have a great week!

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

 
At December 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Jessica Gitler said...

I just love Julian so much, we try to make a trip up there at least once a year around apple picking season ... so pretty up there!
Jess
www.jesscauseblog.blogspot.com

 
At December 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Kendra said...

I feel everything you are saying. Glad you were able to get away to such a charming little place!

 
At December 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

please tell me you went to mom's for pie! i go and buy multiple pies every year. if you ever want a buddy, i am always down for mini adventures! especially if there is food involved. :)

 
At December 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM , Blogger the creation of beauty is art. said...

I am the same way when I try to get to sleep - I end up worrying or solving a problem, either or! Routines are important, but it's nice that you get to appreciate your time away from routine.
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

 
At December 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Brittany Kyte said...

Luke is seriously adorable. I think we can all relate to feeling a little boring at times and get that itch to explore!

http://brittanykytecreated.blogspot.com/

 
At December 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM , Blogger Rosy said...

Julian is definitely a cute little town. I have been there a couple of times and I never leave disappointed, and yes, their apple pies are delicious!! Thanks For Sharing :)

-Rosy
www.ajoyfulkindoflife.blogspot.com

 
At December 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM , Blogger Natasha said...

What a lovely place!! =)))

 
At December 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Anne Hill said...

Your little guy is SO cute! Totally loving your blog

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home