<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alongabbeyroad.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Along Abbey Road | A Lifestyle And Family Blog : We're Going To San Francisco!

4.16.2015

We're Going To San Francisco!

San Francisco

We are headed to San Francisco next month for our anniversary and I cannot wait! There is so much beauty and history and it will be my first time going. Obviously, I need all the tips I can get. I have compiled a list, which naturally includes all the main tourist attractions, but I want it to be more than that. Like, where do the locals go? What are the hidden gems people miss?

Our trip will only be for three days, but we are going sans kids and will be free to roam and sightsee and eat! Can I tell you how excited I am to be able to sit in a restaurant without worrying about spilled water and utensils flying through the air? THIS excited!

Here is the list I have compiled. It is in no particular order of importance or geographically mapped out, although I would like it to be when we go. Pretty please suggest, say nay, or embellish on where to stay, what to do and where to eat.

SIGHTS TO SEE:

Golden Gate Bridge and National Rec Area. This is naturally the first thing to add to the list because it is iconic!

Sausalito and Tiburon. All the guides I have read say to head to Sausalito and then head to Tiburon after. Is this worth it? I hear it is charming and quaint and the dreamiest little town. PLUS, it's where Sara and Lars live in Serendipity, and we all know how I feel about that!

The Painted Ladies. Full House, guys! I plan on packing my scrunchies, sweatshirts and Keds with socks...wait a minute, isn't that back in style? I will be so hip! ;) (And when did I get so OLD?!) Be expecting many a photo and grams about me having a picnic in the park across the way and pretending to kiss Uncle Jesse.

Haight and Ashbury. Because I am convinced I belonged in the 60s and am a hippie at heart. I don't care if I am living my teenage angsty dreams and reverting back to my obsession with The Doors by going here. It just has to be done.

Fisherman's Wharf. Again, it is my duty as a proper tourist to visit this place.

Chinatown. But not just the main street! (I don't even know the street names to reference to.) I have read that the side alleys are where the real cool stuff goes down.

Presidio. We love to hike so we will spend one of our mornings enjoying all that Mother Nature has to offer.

Mission District. I will most certainly be overgrammin' this entire trip, and my wall mural-loving self will be in high heaven at the Clarion Alley Murals! Where are the other must-see bright walls and murals? I am specifically interested in pink houses like the ones in the photo above! Are they everywhere? I don't know these things. Forgive my ignorance and teach me your ways.

16th Avenure Mosaic Steps. Again, because I am a sucker for colorful and artistic things and live for photo opps ;)

Bernal Slides. I saw this suggestion and HAD to add it to the list. These slides are HUGE! How cool! Kid at heart, ya know?

WHAT TO EAT:

Tartine. Apparently this is a delicious alternative to that other popular bakery I don't remember the name of.

And that wraps up the list! Is it a good one? Obviously we still need suggestions for places to eat and a cool hotel to stay in, so please send them my way!

Our countdown for our trip to San Francisco has begun, and I am incredibly excited to share our photos and adventures. Be sure to follow along our journey on Instagram (@alongabbeyroad). I promise it will be full of life and color. Can't wait!

Photo by Anne-Solange Tardy 

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At April 16, 2015 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Ann B said...

Visit welltraveledwife.com for travel tips in San Francisco (and everywhere) and email her for ideas!

 
At April 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I would seriously suggest you contact Melissa of braveinlove.com. She has lived in San Francisco and I am sure could give you some excellent gems of places to eat and explore. She is pretty awesome.

Have a great time on your trip! Sounds SO exciting. I'm planning a trip to Nashville myself. So, if you know of anyone who could give Nashville travel tips, I'd appreciate that hahaha :)

 
At April 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM , Blogger Colleen Sullivan said...

Yay! You're coming to my area!

If you're there on Sunday you HAVE to go to Picnic at the Presidio by Off the Grid. It's all of SF's best food trucks and people bring blankets and layout on the lawn and enjoy the good food. If you can't make it there on Sunday check out the Off the Grid site to find other spots that the trucks convene. I recommend you eat somewhere in SF's little Italy aka North Beach. The Marina is a pretty popular shopping / dining spot too and full of younger trendy people. Have fun!

 
At April 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Anna Demko said...

Have fun Abbey! Are you taking kids? Or is it just the two of you trip?


Happy Medley

 
At April 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I loved the Lands End hike - it's a pretty easy walk and amazing scenery - a total highlight of my trip to San Fran.

 
At April 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this idea, Ann! xo

 
At April 18, 2015 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Contacting a native is an excellent idea. Thanks for the advice! I don't know of anyone who has Nashville travel tips, but maybe Pinterest could be of help? Have so much fun on your trip!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 4:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooo, that sounds amazing! I LOOOOOVVVEE food trucks, and it just so happens we will be there part of Sunday. Hopefully we can make it happen! I will add Little Italy on our eating list too! Thanks so much, Colleen!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 4:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nope, just the two of us for our anniversary. So excited!

 
At April 18, 2015 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love hikes, so I will see if we can squeeze this one in. Thanks, Briony! xo

 
At April 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM , Blogger yours truly said...

Mamas on Washington Square has AMAZING french toast, definitely should go for breakfast. Have a great trip!

 
At April 19, 2015 at 12:10 AM , Blogger Joanna said...

Coit Tower, Sutro Baths, Golden Gate Park, Muir Woods, and Ferry Plaza Farmers Market are all cool spots to check out. And it's so so fun to rent bikes and ride across the bridge, then take the ferry back from Sausalito. For food, the touristy staples are Ghirardelli Square and Boudin! And there is a life changing vegetarian restaurant called Greens in the Fort Mason area - such a pretty view of the bridge, and the food will make you question if you ever need to eat meat again :) Although I am so not a vegatarian, I definitely recommend it! Have fun! What a great little getaway!

 
At April 20, 2015 at 9:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

For other cool "local" places, I also recommend visiting Hayes Valley (Hayes Street) and Pacific Heights (Fillmore Street); there are tons of shops and restaurants to visit.

Besides Tartine, another must try pastry shop is B. Patisserie.

In the North Beach, I suggest Tony's Pizza Napoletana.

If you want to catch a show, Beach Blanket Babylon (also in North Beach) is fun to watch.

In the Marina district, my go-to is a hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint called Los Hermanos. No frills, but the best chicken and rice burrito, IMHO.

Chinatown - walk along Grant Street for all the souvenir shops; Stockton Street is full of the markets and restaurants where the locals eat and shop.

Don't forget to visit Lombard (the crooked) Street!

3 days is a short trip, but hopefully you'll get to come back and see the rest of the city! If you need other reco's, just let me know.

 
At April 21, 2015 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Caroline McKell said...

Happy Anniversary!! It'll be so fun to explore San Francisco and have a romantic getaway :)

If you're looking for a fancy dinner with a view of the bay for your anniversary then I'd totally recommend McCormick & Kuleto's. It's great seafood and it's right in Ghirardelli Square so you could get milkshakes after! Pricey for sure though!

It sounds like you already have a full trip planned so you might not have time for Alcatraz but I'd definitely recommend it if you can squeeze it in! You get to ride a ferry out to the island and then the tour itself is fascinating. Of course, then you'd have to come home and watch The Rock (old Alcatraz movie) to complete the whole experience. And a heads up--I'm pretty sure you have to reserve tickets as far in advance as possible.

I have always wanted to ride bikes across the Golden Gate Bridge like someone else recommended so that would be awesome! Sausalito is beautiful and quaint so it's definitely worth riding too :)

My family loves going to Crissy Fields, having a picnic and walking along the bay. It's right under the Golden Gate bridge and a great place for pictures. I love this family photo shoot at Crissy Fields: http://tarawhitney.com/justbeblogged/2013/05/sunny-san-francisco/

With all that said, even if you do nothing major and just wander the streets and eat at random places you'll have a good time! Just bring a jacket and layers cause it is always chilly! San Francisco's summer months are September and October but other than that you can count on needing something warm to wear.

Hope you have the best time!

 
At April 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

my husband and i spent a short time in san francisco a little over a year ago, i wish we had more time and i can't wait to go back! i really enjoyed coit tower and getting a view of the city. we toured alcatraz which was really cool. we also walked around outside the palace of fine arts, it was really beautiful. also, a nice little treat from ghirardelli square is a must! you need to get some clam chowder and make sure to be on the lookout for the "bush man" on the wharf (he hides behind big leaves and pops out to scare people)! if you haven't been and you have a little time to head out of the city i definitely recommend checking out muir woods.

 
At May 3, 2015 at 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came back from San Francisco vacation. Sweet Maple for Breakfast, and B Star for dinner are really good choices. Mission has a couple ice cream shops - Bi Rite is tasty.

Airbnb is a great option too!

Enjoy!

Joy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home